Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus N5548 port-channel load-balance - query on the show command output

russjstewart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My thanks and apologies in advance for this question as I feel I should know the answer.

I am looking at the load balancing configuration for port-channel groups on our Nexus N5548UP switches NX-OS version 7.3(5)N1(1)

The switch configuration says

"port-channel load-balance ethernet source-dest-port"

When I run the "show port-channel load-balance" command I get the following reply

Port Channel Load-Balancing Configuration:
System: source-dest-port

Port Channel Load-Balancing Addresses Used Per-Protocol:
Non-IP: source-dest-mac
IP: source-dest-port source-dest-ip source-dest-mac

My confusion is over the bolded line  that says "IP: source-dest-port source-dest-ip source-dest-mac"

Why am I seeing three different load balancing options ?

I have searched the command reference guides and cannot see any explanation

Any information will be gratefully received

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Actually the load balancing default settings is like below

source and destination MAC addresses, source and destination IP addresses, and source and destination TCP and UDP ports

As you configured to load balance based on UDP ports so, It took the first position then IP and then MAC.

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

'source-dest-mac' is the default. Since you have 'source-dest-port' configured, that is the first option that shows up. The other two options show the precedence of the remaining algorithms.

That is how I think the output should be read...

Thank you, that seems to the the consensus. I appreciate your time

Actually the load balancing default settings is like below

source and destination MAC addresses, source and destination IP addresses, and source and destination TCP and UDP ports

As you configured to load balance based on UDP ports so, It took the first position then IP and then MAC.

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Thanks NetworkRhinos, greatly appreciated
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card