cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Noisy 2811 - Alternative Needed

wisdum1010
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2811 with a PoE card in it and the device functions well and does what I need it to do.  I have it setup in a branch office in a basement closet where it is very cool and the temperature remains constant throughout the year.  Unfortunetly I have employees complaining about how loud it is and that you can hear it through the closet door.  I am not interested in building a sound proof box unless I have to, and the closet is far too small for sound proof rack.  My question is, are there other Cisco routers that are full featured and not so loud?  I was looking at the 881 (VPN, VoIP and all that) and I think it would fulfill my needs but I can not find any data on how loud the device is.

Currently, in the closet the router produces between 50-60db and with the door closed in the room its between 25-30db.  I am looking to shave that down as much as I can.  I realize not all routers are fanless and silent.  I have checked to make sure it isn't a heat issue and the fans are running up; they aren't.  It is just standard idle fans producing that much noise (unless that is abnormal?)

Thanks

2 Replies 2

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I think the 881 is a fanless device.

It is normal for the ISR router to be noisy even at cool temperatures.

I am having a hard time finding out specifically if the 881 is fanless.  I do like the idea of using the 881 SRST, does anyone know if that has fans?  I found this article that discusses fans and simply says:

"

Fan

Some router models do not have a fan, while other models have either one or two fans.

"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/860-880-890/hardware/installation/guide/1Overview880-860.html#wp1061789

So I guess the 880 series do and don't have fans?  Anyone know for sure or know how best to find out?

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card