cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Not in Possession of Password for Cisco 871W

PeterR5368
Level 1
Level 1

Recently, I purchased a Cisco 871W Router with which to practice/study for my CCENT with. Since I have made the purchase, it has given me nothing but headaches.

I cannot access the router to configure it, as the previous owner has a password set on it to access enable mode, which he/she has forgotten.

Here is the message that I receive when I attempt to log in into the router, to access enable mode.

[IMG]http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii336/BOB421C4/IMG_20120707_140325.jpg[/IMG]

Apparently there is supposed to be a one-time username and password of "cisco", but this is not the case.

I have tried to do a password recovery, following this post discussion thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/193005

Unfortunately, this has not worked, and I am sure that I am doing something incorrectly. I am connected to the router via console cable and have tried power cycling the router and entering the break sequence, powercycling again, and then holding the spacebar down for 15 seconds. The preceding has produced no results to speak of. Following, I set my terminal emulator, Tera Term, to the baud rate of 1200, powercycled the router, and held down the space bar for 20 seconds. I then immediately set the baud rate back to 9600. Nothing occurred, once again.

Furthermore, I have followed the password recovery instructions set forth by Cisco.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/trouble.html#wp1038210

Nothing has come of these methods, either, and I do not see how they would work, or even apply to my situation, as Cisco seems to imply they should, as I cannot get into enable mode, let alone privileged mode or conf t mode, as the guidelines require.

Here is some info that may help in troubleshooting:

Terminal Emulator: Tera Term

Router is not currently connected to any sort of internet connection. Only the power cord and console cable are properly connected.

So, as it stands right now, I am plain confused and lost!

Hopefully this can be figured out quickly.

28 Replies 28

Did you try no flow control?

At this point I'd be trying different apapter (Better still a legacy serial port) and even a different PC. If you buy an adapter buy one from a company like Belkin or Star Tech. Make sure they have windows 7 (32 and 64bit) drivers.

Another thought. Can you connect a dhcp client (PC) to one of the LAN ports. If you are lucky you'll pull an IP. You could then attempt to telnet to it. If only to see if the CLI responds to your commands.

James

I did try no flow control along with both hardware and Xon/Xoff. The results were the same.

In leui of your suggestions, pompey, I am looking at getting this StarTech USB 2.0 to Serial adapter.

http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Serial-Cards-Adapters/1-Port-USB-to-Serial-RS232-Adapter-Cable-with-COM-Retention~ICUSB2321F

What are your thoughts on it, and is there a better version that you would go with, yourself?

I will also try to Telnet to the router through my DHCP enabled desktop.

I just tried to Telnet to the router via Tera Term, but the connection would just time out, and would not connect to the router.

Not to get too far off topic. But I assume your PC received an IP from the Router via DHCP and that the IP address you tried to telnet to was the same as your default gateway? Did you also try ssh 1 and 2? Can you ping the IP?

Regarding Star Tech. I haven't used that particular model however its hard to go wrong with Star Tech. They have rock solid support in my experience. Plus it supports W7 32 and 64 bit.

Its a shame you have to buy something. Don't you have access to a PC with a legacy serial port to test it. Maybe at work? The USB 2 DB9 adapter often clouds problems like these.

James

Yes, my home network is setup with DHCP.

In review it probably was the default gateway that I tried to Telnet to. How am I to Telnet to the router if I do not know its IP address?

I will try SSH 1 and 2, and try to ping the IP once I am informed of how to find what it is.

Sadly, I do not have access to a PC with a legacy Serial port. I am 18, and do not work a traditional job. I am merely trying to get my CCENT, and then my CCNA, as I am going for a degree in MIS, and would like to get into Netwrok Consulting.

OK I understand. If we want to continue down the telnet route do the following. I'm being very verbose now just to ensue we are on the same page. Also note that I'm gambling that the Router is setup as a DHCP server so that when you connect to it with a LAN cable it gives you an IP.

1. Disconnect your PC from any other network wired or wireless.

2. Connect a network cable from your PC to one of the LAN interfaces on the back of the router.

3. From the PC's command prompt issue the following command ipconfig/release followed by ipconfig/renew

4. Does the ipconfig/renew command present you with an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway?

- If you get a media disconnected message when issuing any ipconfig command replace the network cable with a xover cable if you have one

- If the ip address starts with 169.254 your PC can't find a DHCP server

- If you get an IP address other than one starting with 169.254 try telneting to you default gateway. If telnet doesn't work try ssh v1 and v2

5. If you get connected try to enter a usename and/or password. The goal is to see if it recognizes anything you type

James

Alright, that's awesome, your suggestion worked, pompey! Now we may be able to get somewhere.

I was able to enter the username of "cisco", as prompted, but when I entered the supposed password of "cisco", nothing occurred after 4-5 minutes of watching Tera Term.

What's our next step?

Good. At least we know the router will accept some input. Mind you this doesn't get us very far unless we can login. Try using Cisco (Capital C) as the password. Also try entering no password at all.

If you can't login we really haven't made any progress other than confirming the Router is somewhat functional. We still need to get the router to recognize you keyboard input via the console port. Unless we can your terminal emulator / USB 2 DB9 adapter to work you are still faced with buy a new USB 2 DB9 adapter.

James

Thank you very much for your help, James.

I will try your suggestions, and purchase a new usb to serial cable, if necessary, when I get back from college orientation on Saturday.

Okay, I'm back, and I tried using Cisco as the password, as well as no password whatsoever.

I forgot to order a proper USB 2.0 to DB9 console cable while at the hotel on Thursday night, but I did order one last night. In the end, I went with the StarTech one that I linked to previously.

Here it is again: http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Serial-Cards-Adapters/1-Port-USB-to-Serial-RS232-Adapter-Cable-with-COM-Retention~ICUSB2321F

OK so you are in a holding pattern till you get the adapter. When you do lets hope the Router responds to your keyboard input.

James

Yes, sadly.

I really do hope that a proper adapter allows me to enter the break sequence to access Rom Monitor mode.

Otherwise, I will try to send the router back.

Thanks again for your help, James.

Alright, the StarTech USB to DB9 Serial cable came today!

I installed the drivers, connected it to the router, booted up, entered the break sequence, and was allowed into ROM Monitor mode.

I then typed "reset", and all appears to be good!

No I can get going with configuring this router!

Thank you to all who helped, especially you, James.

U are welcome.

Jamees

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: