Views
Helpful
Replies

On ISDN calls

MhdBadiCISCO
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I work for a company that uses a leased line for each country and ISDN links as backup. I'm facing a problem which is the ISDN call.

Lets say that traffic is going through the main leased line and for some reason, the traffic was shifted on the backup line which is ISDN. Now as we call it "Interesting Traffic" a call is initiated via dialer until the traffic is passed. I mean, the call will be established until there is no traffic on the link and traffic is back on the leased line. This process of closing calls must not take more than 5 minutes and then the call must be closed.

In commands:

#show isdn status: is showing active/multipleframe_established/ (0) active calls ---- when ISDN is active and on standby mode to carry traffic at any time.

when I hit #show isdn active while traffic is passing, there must be a call or more.

The problem: after more than 5 minutes which is after the traffic is entirely moved to the leased line, the ISDN call is still active, unclosed and you know how much that costs.

The questions:

1. Is there any command I can issue manually to close active ISDN calls? something like: #clear isdn .....
  2. Is there any configuration command(s) that I can use to set the ISDN call(s) to be closed automatically after there is no interesting traffic?

Thank you in advance for the help and support.

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Mohammad,

Well, Paolo can only repeat what he said originally - that regardless of how many people have had a look on your configuration, your router is doing only what it is configured to do (unless this is a bug) - so we have to inspect your configuration as well.

Would you mind posting your configuration here? Remove sensitive information first (passwords, etc.).

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The call should close automatically. If it doesn't, that is due to wrong configuration.

what if I have said that my configuration was reviewed thrice by me and twice by two other engineers? this call termination happens most of time but there are cases it's not closed.

What part of the configuration you think is resposible for forcing the call to be terminated if there is no interesting traffic?

Hello Mohammad,

Well, Paolo can only repeat what he said originally - that regardless of how many people have had a look on your configuration, your router is doing only what it is configured to do (unless this is a bug) - so we have to inspect your configuration as well.

Would you mind posting your configuration here? Remove sensitive information first (passwords, etc.).

Best regards,

Peter

Thank you so much. I will post the configuration stuff tomorrow after removing some sensitive lines.

Appreciated

MhdBadiCISCO
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you so much guys for the time. I want to extremely apologize for the delay on posting my configurations but I think no need for that because there was a misunderstanding in the middle.

according to the monitoring team they said that the calls remains active even after passing traffic with #show isdn active and #show standby showing HSRP status changing when the traffic is moved from the leased line to the ISDN BKP. I figured out that the call is terminated in less than 5 minutes when traffic is passed and no more data is needed to be carried over a data call.

I apologize for wasting your time.

Hi Mohammad,

No problem - these things do happen every now and then. I am glad you were able to sort this out. Take care and please feel welcome to join us here on CSC again.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card