cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

One Router and Two Interfaces on the same network

Borman Bravo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, thanks in advance for your comments, I have one router and two lan interfaces that need to be on the same network just to provide interface redundancy in  the event that one of them or the attached switch fails, besides configuring a BVI to bridge them, is there any other option to have these 2 lan interfaces on the same /24 network? I've had some issues with the BVI setup when traffic was not crossing the bridge. Thanks again.

3 Replies 3

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

apart from bridging I don't see how you could have 2 interfaces in same subnet except maybe in 2 VRFs.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Which router is that? Do you have a modular slot available? As Alan mentioned BVI is the only option in this set up. I would buy another router to provide the optimum redundancy in my network and configure HSRP for an automatic failover.Another option could be to buy a 4/9 port ether switch module, configure the trunk ports down to the access switches and create SVI's on the router. I have not tried that but this should work.

Hope this helps.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of    this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising   out of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if   Author has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

One possible option might be to port channel your two router interfaces.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card