cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OPSF cost

rajitoor55
Level 1
Level 1

What traffic does the interface command ip ospf cost ##. Traffic incoming to the interface or outgoing of the interface when a router is connected to two ABR routers. Switch X is connected to two ABR switches A & B. IP OSPF cost when configured on interface connected to A, i can see incoming traffic increased but output rate is zero

7 Replies 7

Hello

ospf interface cost is only locally significant , So it wont influence its neighboring ospf peer adjacency return path for that to happen you need to apply the costing on both ends of the peer

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Its easy to understand this concept.

Take an example of 4 routers connected in diamond shape. 

R1--------------b-R2 -a------------------R3        // a,b,c,d are the interface name like fa0/0 or fa0/1

|                                                                         |

|---------------c--R4--d-----------------|

Running ospf in area 0. 

R3 has 3.3.3.3 and R1 has 1.1.1.1 in the loopback.

If i am going to trace the path, for example, its taking path via R2 with no changes in cost. 

If I configure "ip ospf cost 100" inside interface a and clear the ospf process from R1 the path will change to R4.

If I configure "ip ospf cost 100" inside interface b and clear the ospf process from R1 the path will not have any change. 

Its just matter how  am learning the route from R3. as the Dataplane and control plane works in opposite direction. 

When I get the 3.3.3.3 route from R3 it will take the "a" cost not the "b" cost.

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Can someone tell me why my traffic, takes one path and how its deciding the path too.

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Its long explanation how this is decides the paths.  but in short below URL help you understand better.

https://blog.ine.com/2010/05/14/traffic-engineering-challenge

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
OSPF interface cost is used to determine best path, i.e. egress interface, to destination.

OSPF ingress traffic is determined by other side's interface egress cost.

What you've described can be caused by asymmetrical costing. However, when dealing with ABRs, area types and area address summarization can also cause asymmetrical path selection.

rajitoor55
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all..and i agree with you, but may be i did not describe my complete problem too.

I having exact issue as described here..

https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/ospf-problem-with-two-abr/td-p/2086740

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

This command is locally significant and it will increase ospf cost (metric) to the particular interface and it will directly putt effect on outgoing traffic from that interface.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card