cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF-4-NORTRID: OSPF Process 1 cannot start

Evan Ray
Level 1
Level 1

I came across an error during one of my exams for a OSPF SIM.  I kept getting the error message "%OSPF-4-NORTRID: OSPF Process 1 cannot start.  There must be at least one "up" IP interface, for OSPF to use as router ID"

I checked all the interfaces, and they were all up.  I know it has to do with the RID, but I'm a little confused as to what.  Isn't the RID selected by the highest loopback address, and if that's not available it goes to the high physical address?  Which in this case is up.  So I'm confused why I got that error, which prevented me from finishing the SIM, as I needed to get OSPF up on that router.

l think to fix that issue, I had to use the router-id command and just make up a value.  Is this correct?

12 Replies 12

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should not, as far as I am aware, have had to explicitly set the router id.

OSPF will not start if it cannot find at least one interface with an IP address that is up.

If you did have interfaces that were up with IP addresses then I suspect it may be an issue with your simulator.

Jon

One factor to consider is the number of OSPF processes running. When there are multiple processes each must have a unique RID. I have had the experience of having two interfacees up, trying to configure a third process and getting the no RID error. 

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Very good to know, which leads me to believe my mistake might of caused the problem.  

Thanks for the quick responses and advice guys.  Much appreciated!!

I didn't think so, that's why I was confused.  Now I did make a mistake with the area, and I went back and created another area.  So I ended up with two areas.  I then removed the incorrect one and left only the required area.  I wonder if that messed up the simulator.  

I guess I need to be super careful on making mistakes, because I'm sure I lost points on that one.  Bummer.

stealthdj
Level 1
Level 1

I had exactly this problem today and I failed the route exam as I could not get this SIMM to work.. Please explain what the fix was and does the SIMM allow us to rectify the problem ?

Hi

OSPF will not work if you don't have any IP address configured and "UP", it is used by OSPF in order to assign the router-id .

It can be fixed if you set up a loopback interface, example

interface loopback 0

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

If you execute a show ip interface brief, it should be seen UP.

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi thanks for that...I actually configured an IP address 172.16.249.250 /32 on the loopback interface and it still didn't work ????

also the S0/0 interface was up up and it had 172.16.14.5/30 on it and I could ping the next hop directly connected device .6/30... int s0/0 said it had process ID 1 I actually though it was a glitch or bug on the SIMM where I was just stuck as I should have created ID 31 FIRST... added the networks and then remove OPSF 1. So is it a glitch where we are unable to recover from on the SIMM ?

Hi

mmm it could be, did you try configuring the router id manually? Or if the router-id was the same with other OSPF router?

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

In case you have multiple OSPF processes, they could be contesting for the only configured loopback interface. Perhaps  you could undo the new ospf process, create an additional loopback then restart the new ospf process

chesarglez429
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same  issue, but it was fixed by running the command no shutdown in the interface connected to other router

Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like your issue was that the interface whose IP address OSPF wanted to use as RID was not up. The interface must be in the up/up state for its address to be used as RID.

HTH

Rick

Hello
you don’t need to create a routerid as the ospf will select as you said on loopback or available interface which is in a up/up state
I wonder or is it possible when you checked your interfaces you may have had them up but line protocols down (up/down) and then enabling the interface on the other side of the connection corrected the ospf state?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card