Helpful
Replies

Ospf load balancing

mukeshrulaniya
Level 1
Level 1

hello expert,

I want the load balancing on ospf network that

1. subnet 1.1.1.0/24 reach at destination through  int fa0/0 (Router R4)

2. Subnet 11.11.11.0/24 reach at destination through int fa0/1 (Router R4).

I am not using any ospf cost or bandwidth .

how i can do it ?

thanks

mukesh

8 Replies 8

Kevin P Sheahan
Level 5
Level 5

OSPF only performs equal-cost load-balancing. So manually set the cost to the same on both links if they are different. Also, under the ospf process, you will need to enter maximum-paths 2.

Kind Regards,

Kevin

**Please remember to rate helpful posts as well as mark the question as 'answered' once your issue is resolved. This will help others to find your solution faster.

Kind Regards, Kevin Sheahan, CCIE # 41349

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mukesh,

load balancing works based on IP flows that are defined on IP source IP destination.

With OSPF you can perform by default load balancing over up to 4 equal cost different paths ( Equal Cost Multi Path ECMP).

Choicing the exit interface based on the source address as you would like to do is not possible with a dynamic routing protocol that is destination based.

You should use PBR (policy based routing) to choice the exit interface based on source address.

PBR allows for a setup like that but it processes traffic that is received on a router interface.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0/qos/configuration/guide/qcpolicy.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Giuseppe Larosa wrote:

With OSPF you can perform by default load balancing over up to 4 equal cost different paths ( Equal Cost Multi Path ECMP).

If I remember correctly, most Cisco OSPF devices default to 4 equal cost paths but that might be increased with maximum-paths command.  Older IOSs, if I also remember correctly, supported up to 6 equal cost paths, and I think, more recent IOSs support many more (16? 32?).

Hello Giuseppe,

Yes, i can do it through the PBR or static route but problem is that when one link goes down then i need to manually change the policy or static route that i am using now but i want dynamically solution so i have no outage time for any subnet.

thanks

Hi,

You can use floating static routes with tracking for dynamic failover and you can also do tracking  in PBR.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hello Mukesh,

follow Alain's suggestions tracking can be combined with PBR.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t4/feature/guide/gtpbrtrk.html

for the opposite direction you can use static routes with tracking

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/12_3x/12_3xe/feature/guide/dbackupx.html

in your case you can simply have a primary tracked static route and the backup can be provided by OSPF dynamically

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Joseph,

you remember correctly.

the upper limit is platform dependent and OS type and version dependent.

According to command reference support for 16 paths have been added in 12.2(33)SXH that is an IOS version for C6500 with Sup720.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_pi/command/iri-cr-a1.html#GUID-C8B4E7F7-3DEE-4C57-BC7B-29D58B6DEFF3

Even higher number of parallel paths may be supported in IOS XR on CRS, 12000 and ASR 9000.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Kevin P Sheahan
Level 5
Level 5

Yes, Giuseppe is on-point with his recommendations. I misunderstood your initial question. PBR is your best option.

Kind Regards,

Kevin

**Please remember to rate helpful posts as well as mark the question as 'answered' once your issue is resolved. This will help others to find your solution faster.

Kind Regards, Kevin Sheahan, CCIE # 41349
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco