cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ospf Routing Update Sharing between Master and Slave

ShahHunain4026
Level 1
Level 1

In Ospf let suppose a new Route/Network is added on a Router that is DROTHER and also a Slave.Now this Network/change must be shared with DR that is Master.

Problem is only Master can start communication while Slave cannot.So,how the Slave will share this change with Master and how Master(DR) will come to know about this new network added on Slave(DROTHER)?

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Perhaps we have an issue with terminology. I am not clear what you mean when you describe a router as slave. I am not familiar with slave as a term in discussing OSPF. I think that you mean a router on a multi point OSPF network that is neither DR nor BDR (DROTHER). While it is true that a DROTHER will not send routing updates to other DROTHER routers, there is nothing stopping the DROTHER from sending a LSA update to the DR and BDR announcing the new network. After receiving the update from the DROTHER the DR will then send an LSA update to all of the OSPF peers on that network.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your reply
Actually In Ospf and Multi Access Network there is a concept of Dr and Bdr and there are seven states starting from Down state, Init state, 2-Way state , Extart state, Exchange, Loading and Last Full state.So, total 7 states involved for sharing LSDBs (Routing Updates).
Now Dr and Bdr is Elected at 2-Way state after comparing priority and if priority is same then Router ID is compared and a Router with highest Router ID is declared as Dr and other Router as Bdr and all remaining as DROTHER.
Next state is Extart where Master and Slave relationship is formed because in order to start the process of sharing LSDBs, one router must start the communication process of sharing LSDBs and that is Master router who will be the first to initialize the process and other router with whom he will be communicating, is Slave router.
So, Slave Router can not start the process of sharing LSDBs that's why my question is if we add a new network on a router which is a Slave router in relationship then how he will communicate that change with Dr that is Master in relationship or how Dr will come to know about that new network because a Slave router can not start communicating that change on its own ?

@Richard Burts wrote:

Perhaps we have an issue with terminology. I am not clear what you mean when you describe a router as slave. I am not familiar with slave as a term in discussing OSPF. I think that you mean a router on a multi point OSPF network that is neither DR nor BDR (DROTHER). While it is true that a DROTHER will not send routing updates to other DROTHER routers, there is nothing stopping the DROTHER from sending a LSA update to the DR and BDR announcing the new network. After receiving the update from the DROTHER the DR will then send an LSA update to all of the OSPF peers on that network.

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your reply
Actually In Ospf and Multi Access Network there is a concept of Dr and Bdr and there are seven states starting from Down state, Init state, 2-Way state , Extart state, Exchange, Loading and Last Full state.So, total 7 states involved for sharing LSDBs (Routing Updates).
Now Dr and Bdr is Elected at 2-Way state after comparing priority and if priority is same then Router ID is compared and a Router with highest Router ID is declared as Dr and other Router as Bdr and all remaining as DROTHER.
Next state is Extart where Master and Slave relationship is formed because in order to start the process of sharing LSDBs, one router must start the communication process of sharing LSDBs and that is Master router who will be the first to initialize the process and other router with whom he will be communicating, is Slave router.
So, Slave Router can not start the process of sharing LSDBs that's why my question is if we add a new network on a router which is a Slave router in relationship then how he will communicate that change with Dr that is Master in relationship or how Dr will come to know about that new network because a Slave router can not start communicating that change on its own ?

https://www.computernetworkingnotes.com/ccna-study-guide/ospf-neighbor-states-explained-with-example.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card