Helpful
Replies

OSPF to BGP redistribution issue

dariopalermo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I'm trying to fix this situation:

Router P (provider) has to link, one to Router A (10G) and the other to Router B (1G). On both links there is an OSPF router 50 set up to publish routers from the providers to the internal routers. Router A and B exchange routes via BGP.

I want to have the router A path (10G) in the routing table of both routers.

To make this happen I tried to  put distance, on router B, 255 in the router ospf 50 config to make the router prefer the bgp received route from router A over the ospf route received by router P.

This works until router A stop publishing the routes... at that moment router B puts into it's routing tables the ospf received routes and that is just fine... but when router A lino to router P goes back online router B sticks with the ospf routes.

Any suggestion? Thanks.

Bye, Dario

4 Replies 4

rishrapsody1
Level 1
Level 1

Can you please share ospf and bgp config of both router A and router B.

Also, please share 'show ip route <prefix>' and 'show ip bgp <prefix>' on router B for destination network.

seems like you have ospf to bgp redistribution enabled on router B as well.
IGP when redistributed to BGP sets weight has 36768 and thus will not let other path to get preferred.
Option is to set higher wieght for router A on router B. i.e neighbor <router A ip> weight 40000

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you redistributing OSPF into BGP ? 

If so check the weight values in the BGP routing table on router B when it has taken over. 

Jon

dariopalermo
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for the delay guys, and thanks for replying.

The issue was related to the "order of events": when switch B did the redistribuition into BGP of the incriminated route before receiving it from router A, it discarded the latter.

The solution was to make router A and B neighbors in the OSPF 50 area (I connected the 2 over a new p2p link).

Bye,

Dario

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card