Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

OSPF Vlan

Hi All,

if you please i have question 

if i am configuring ospf on Nexus 7K and i distribute the static and connected on that core, should i add router ospf 1 area 1 in each vlan and interface or no ?

(config)# interface loopback

(config-if)# ip add 10.153.166.254 255.255.255.255

(config)# feature ospf

(config)# router ospf 100

(config-router)# router-id 10.153.166.254            

(config-router)# summary-address 10.153.0.0 255.255.0.0

(config-router)# no discard-route

(config-router)# redistribute static route

(config-router)# redistribute direct

should i enable ospf on all vlan L3 interfaces or this commandes are enough

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes that is correct.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

David Castro F.
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello David,

I hope you are doing great,

On this case if only purpose is to advertise the connected interfaces and static routes, yes those are the only commands you required.

(config-router)# redistribute static route --- Redistributes static routes.

(config-router)# redistribute direct --- Redistributes connected,

Remember when you add to the VLAN interfaces the ip ospf command is because you want to build a neighborship there to a neighboring device. With nexus you need to add the command into the interface. Now make sure to make passive the interfaces that sould not participate into creating the a neighborship (recommended).

Keep us posted,

Please qualify all of the helpful answers, and mark as answered if it was answered.

Regards,

David Castro,

The original poster asks what seems to be a simple question: if redistributing static and redistributing connected should they enable OSPF on all vlan L3 interfaces. Clearly the answer to this simple question is that no you do not need to enable OSPF on all L3 interfaces. OSPF will advertise the subnets of those interfaces without being enabled on the interfaces. It sort of sounds like we are saying that you do not need to enable OSPF on any L3 interfaces. But that would be a big mistake. You do need to enable OSPF on some L3 interfaces. You enable OSPF on some interfaces so that OSPF will form neighbor relationships with peers connected to these interfaces and will have some neighbors to advertise these subnets to.

HTH

Rick 

HTH

Rick

so i will not enable ospf on all vlan interfaces but at least the interfaces that connecting to the other peer for the ospf? is that is correct @Richard Burts

Yes that is correct.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you all

Appreciate

You are quite welcome. I am glad that our explanations have been helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions that have helpful information. One of the strengths of these communities is that we have multiple people reading and responding to questions. So you get several points of view and that frequently produces better answers. These communities are excellent places to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card