Views
Helpful
Replies

OTV on DMVPN

Muhammed AKYUZ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are getting L3 MPLS service from ISP. ISP do not provide Multicast Routing. For that reason I will run multicast on DMVPN GRE tunnels. My questions is does OTV works on DMVPN interfaces?

thank you.

20 Replies 20

I had DMVPN running OTV. I did it two ways. I put the join interface on a loopback and used pim sparse/pim nbma and also tried with pim dense on the tunnel. It worked well (caveat at the bottom)

The second set of configs had the join interface set as the tunnel (caveat at the bottom).

In all instances I had to manually add an "ip igmp join x.x.x.x" for the control group on the join interface. This pops in a CLNS duplicate system ID message. All I did was add a logging discriminator to ignore those messages.

We had to abandon OTV since it requires that all clients support SSM. Since multicast relies on igmp snooping it does not work with ssm static mappings.

can you share your latest configuration?

Hi,

Even though this post is quiet old, I just to add one small information here, as of today there is no formal support to use logical interfaces as a join-interface [in ASR1K]. So, the solution if you cannot have a multicast-core is to go for unicast usage of OTV [adjacency server usage]

dan_voyer
Level 1
Level 1

How about you try running OTV with adjacency server instead ? Available with 5.2 and no need for multicast in the core/backbone

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

dan_voyer
Level 1
Level 1

How about you try running OTV with adjacency server instead ? Available with 5.2 and no need for multicast in the core/backbone.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Atri Basu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys, but I just came across this post. As of IOS XE3.10, using a GRE Tunnel as a join interface is not supported on ASR1000. The join interface must be a POS interface, GigE interface, GigE sub-interface, Port-channel interface, or Port-channel sub-interface.  While you may be able to configure a GRE tunnel interface as the join interface and have it work successfully, it is not an officially supported configuration.  This is due to the fact that we need to be able to detect all conditions where an OTV router looses connectivity to the other OTV routers via the join interface.  We can do this for the interface types listed but not for the logical interfaces (including Loopbacks, GRE tunnels, etc).

You can however configure GetVPN on the phyiscal join interfaces to provide the encryption,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card