Views
Helpful
Replies

Outbound email issue

Richardsensory
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a client with a Cisco 887 router using it on a Plusnet ADSL service.

Internet browsing and all other functions are working as they should, except outbound emails.  The client is using a private hosted mail server for their emails and can receive mail but not send out.

We replaced the original plusnet supplied router with the cisco one, since then outbound hasnt worked.  I logged this with plusnet who have stated the router is the cause as they do not have anything in place to block traffic.

Are you able to advise what may be causing this?  I am unaware of any settings in place to prevent outbound SMTP traffic.  As soon as we put the plusnet supplied router back it works perfectly.

Many thanks

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard

If outbound Email does not work when connected through Cisco but does work when connected through plusnet router then it sure sounds like there is something in the configuration of the Cisco that is different. My first thought would be to look for some issue with Address Translation. But there could be a number of things. Have you checked to see whether there is anything in the configuration of the plusnet router that is specific to Email or to the addressing of the Email service?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Many thanks for your input.

I have been through the Thomson plusnet router and looked for any specific settings but no luck.  I have also asked plusnet about the issue, to which they stated there arent any particular settings or security restrictions on the network.  A bit of a strange issue really.

I will double check the router again to see if anything jumps out at me.

Richard

Is the configuration of the plusnet router something that you could post? Perhaps if you post the configuration of the Cisco, and identify for us the addressing of the Email service we might help you find something?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: