cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet drop on GRE tunnel

Andrew Chan
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3845 connecting to a 2811 through GRE tunnel. The GRE tunnel from the 3845 will pass through a ASA5520 to encrypt the GRE tunnel into an IPSec tunnel terminated on the 2811.

Occassionally, there is a drop to the tunnel interface independent of load of the tunnel. It is not a lot of drop however there is constantly 3-5 packet drops per minute.

I have checked the Loopback10 and the Ethernet interface and there is no packet drop from any interface. Traffic seems to be behaving properly however interfaces showing drops and not sure what is being dropped.

Is there anyway to find out what causing the drop?

6 Replies 6

Andrew Chan
Level 1
Level 1

Attached are the tunnel configuration on the 2811 and 3845 and the show interface

Hi,

Everything seems to be fine with your configuration. The only thing I will suggest you to configure are the keepalives. This a very important detail when configuring GRE tunnel.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk827/tk369/technologies_tech_note09186a008048cffc.shtml

Do you have any traffic monitoring tool for the interface? Is the physical interface displaying drops as well?

Have you looked at the logs when you get the drops in order to see if there is any log that might help?

Could you post the output of the physical interface related to these tunnels?

Let me know if it helps.

I have enabled keepalive on the tunnel interface and it does not help. Actually, the log did not show there is any interface shutdown or lost of routing neighbour relationship. The physical interface does not show any drop either.

You have QoS enabled on that interface, can we see that portion of the config ?

You can exclude the QoS configuration. I have checked the service policy and there is no packet drop there and I have even tried to remove QoS completely and the problem still exists.

give an extended ping , show route and detailed config

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card