Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Packet loss every minute after BGP turn-up

I have several MPLS circuits that I had the provider turn-up BGP on.  I am peered with their routers without problems, and I am receiving routes. Communication seems fine across the MPLS except one circuit is dropping packets every minute and that is causing issues. This started after BGP implementation, so that is what I am pointing my finger at. The CPU of my routers stay around 20-30 percent and memory usage is low too. The site that is having the problems is running a Cisco 3925 ISR and it is peered with the providers Cisco 2921 (according to CDP). The problem is that every 60 seconds the circuit drops packets for a second or two. I have a continuous ping running and I have timed the timeout intervals and discovered it occurs every 60 seconds. One more thing to note… there is a Cisco 2960 switch between the 3925 and the providers 2921. I have checked the ports for errors and the switch CPU usage and everything looks fine. Can anyone help with the matter? If you need more info I will be happy to provide it. 

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I would be suprised if it's causing a problem, but the BGP scanner, I believe, runs once a minute.  I've seen it spike the CPU when dealing with Internet tables, but your don't have full Internet BGP tables, correct?

From personal experience, it is most likely an ISP problem. However, I would suggest you to take packet captures(filter your icmp flow) on egress interface on the CE router. This would verify if the packets were dropped by the router or were lost in ISP network. Then you should make out an action plan accordingly to troubleshoot this problem.

Refer to following docs for configuring captures -

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_4t/12_4t11/ht_rawip.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/epc/configuration/xe-3s/asr1000/epc-xe-3s-asr1000-book/nm-packet-capture-xe.html

-Vishesh

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I would be suprised if it's causing a problem, but the BGP scanner, I believe, runs once a minute.  I've seen it spike the CPU when dealing with Internet tables, but your don't have full Internet BGP tables, correct?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card