cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Parameters in other to buy a Switch Cisco

victors0991
Level 1
Level 1

Hellos everybody. Well My boss tell me to buy a switch for our company. I want to know what kind of parameters I have to take care to buy a switch Cisco. For example if I need a 3 layer switch what do I evaluate in order to buy a cisco switch

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If you want only 8 ports available, I'd go for something small like 3560C-12PC-S. It has 1 gig uplinks to connect to the core. It also has 12 access ports, so you have room for expansion by 4 ports.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-c-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-639705.html

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

I need a access sw because I want to connect 8 radio base to that switch and then connect that switch to the core

More info.  

What speed do you want as an uplink?  1 Gbps or 10 Gbps?

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, you need to know if this is Core, Distribution or Access layer. Based on that then ask following questions.

Port Density

Throughput

Number of Uplinks

Scalability

Enhanced layer 3 required

Enhanced layer 2 capabilities required

list could be longer.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of   the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

And one of the (important) items to add to Bilal's list, what can you spend.

Hi I supposed that I need a 2 layer switches .I need a access sw because I want to connect 8 radio base to that switch and then connect that switch to the core

I need a access sw because I want to connect 8 radio base to that switch and then connect that switch to the core

More info.  

What speed do you want as an uplink?  1 Gbps or 10 Gbps?

I need 1 gbps

I need 1 gbps

Layer 3 switch with 8 ports ... WS-C3560CG-8T is the only candidate.

yes, i agree with joseph.

it's all about the money baby.

Hi I supposed that I need a 2 layer switches .I need a access sw because I want to connect 8 radio base to that switch and then connect that switch to the core

If you want only 8 ports available, I'd go for something small like 3560C-12PC-S. It has 1 gig uplinks to connect to the core. It also has 12 access ports, so you have room for expansion by 4 ports.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-c-series-switches/data_sheet_c78-639705.html

I have a switch core, only I need to decide what kind of access switch I can use to conect radio base and that switch will conect with de switch core

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card