cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Passive interface on a SVI, does that work or not?

sajennpl1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

At my office, I am trying to clean some of the routing table and fix some routing issues. We run eigrp for internal network. In one of the routers, eigrp neighbor relationship is through SVIs only. I'm actively trying to use "passive interface default" for all the L3 devices, and doing "no passive... " for the interfaces that are currently forming neighbor relationship. So, does that work the same for SVIs? Do I just do "no passive interface default int vlan XX" for all the SVI that are forming the neighbor relationship? will that work the same as for a physical interface? or do I need to track the physical ports that are actively using that vlan? I have looked around and haven't found a definitive answer. I would really appreciate some help.

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not sure what model switch you are using, and that might possibly change the answer. But on the switches that I have experience with  the no passive interface works.

As a side note you have an extra parameter in the syntax that you suggest for making the interface active "no passive interface default int vlan XX"

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I know it works for OSPF, I would assume it would for EIGRP too, but cannot say for sure.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am not sure what model switch you are using, and that might possibly change the answer. But on the switches that I have experience with  the no passive interface works.

As a side note you have an extra parameter in the syntax that you suggest for making the interface active "no passive interface default int vlan XX"

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you for the prompt reply. Its a 4507 R+E. So you are saying, the "no passive interface vlan XX" should work as if it were a physical port? and the neighbor relationship will work with that command if i use "passive interface default"?

It should work fine. I have done this on 6500s with EIGRP so I can't see any reason why it won't work on a 4500.

You don't need to track the physical interfaces because the peering is not done on the physical interface it is done on the SVI.

Jon

Thank you guys. I'll let you guys know how it goes, once I implement it.

As Jon has said, yes it should work on your switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card