Views
Helpful
Replies

Passthrough configuration for an unmanaged switch

sdemerse
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am finally able to dive into cisco configurations and have run into an issue I can't seem to find the fix for, hopefully an easy solution, just lack of experience showing.

I have a small business I've been configuring routers for. They have a main file/domain server in one location with a primary gateway router there. I have been setting up routers at other locations, building tunnels between them and the home office router, and have had minimal problems getting passthrough to the home office. I have set each office up on their own internal network scheme, xxx.xxx.1.x, xxx.xxx.2.x, etc.. Here in lies my issue. I have in the home office, the main person's office equipment, only PC and printer at the moment, connected to an unmanaged switch which is then connected to the main gateway router (which by the way is an RV325). So I'm assuming that because it is a switch, the main router has automatically given it a different internal IP scheme, xxx.xxx.7.1. The main router has DHCP enabled so it normally gives out xxx.xxx.1.x addresses to anything connected to it, the server being statically assigned to xxx.xxx.1.10. My problem is that because of this, it is not allowing me to make a direction connection to the server from the PC because of this, because the unmanaged switch has now caused anything beyond it to be assigned with xxx.xxx.7.x. 

I need to know how to either configure passthrough for this new .7.x scheme on the unmanaged switch or how to configure it so it is just passing through the switch like a repeater and assigning .1.x IP's to those other devices.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!!

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are some things about your situation that I do not understand. But one thing is quite clear and it should provide an answer to your most important question which is how do you configure the unmanaged switch. The most important aspect of an unmanaged switch is that it is unmanaged. This means that it does not have an IP address, and it means that you can not access the switch, and it means that you can NOT configure the unmanaged switch.

Why would you assume that the router has given the switch an address of x.x.7.1? What interface of the router is the unmanaged switch connected to? How is that router interface configured? 

Also what is the IP address, network mask, and default gateway of the PC? How did the PC get that address? Was it manually configured? Was it learned by DHCP? or something else?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hey Richard,

I appreciate your input and I may have a glimmer of what could be the issue is because of what you said. The problem is that I wasn't on site so I don't know the cabling, doing everything on my end remotely. I was thinking the Cisco assigned the 7.1 to the switch because when I do an ipconfig at the PC, that's what comes up as the gateway.

What I am thinking may have happened and I'm having to verify with my onsite team, is that instead of plugging the switch into a normal open port on the Cisco, they may have plugged it into the secondary internet port (DMZ) on the Cisco. Would that cause this issue? It sounds logical to me that that may be what occured since as you say, the switch should just be a passthrough and not be assigned anything by the DHCP on the router or the server.

Thanks!

Certainly you need to get some clarification from the team on site about how things are connected. Can you verify in the output of ipconfig that the IP was learned from DHCP? And assuming that is the case then you need to look on the RV325 and see where it has 7.1.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card