Views
Helpful
Replies

Password recovery for the 1760 routers

didentx01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a 1760 modular access router that has a username and password configured on the box and I do not know the password. I have tried the password recovery instructions from Cisco (ctrl+break key within 60 seconds of booting the router) but it does not work. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to gain access to this router.

Thanks,

TJ

8 Replies 8

Hi,

"Press Break on the terminal keyboard within 60             seconds of power up in order to put the router into ROMMON."

Have you tried this?

Ref: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps221/products_password_recovery09186a0080094773.shtml

HTH,

Toshi

Yes, I have tried what is in the documentation. I have a toshiba laptop and I am pressing the CTRL + BREAK key within the first 60 seconds after turning the router on. I just don't know what is wrong, it is a simple task. Do you have any other suggestions?

TJ

What terminal emulator are you using?

Also, I am using Hyperterminal ver 7.0. I have it set for 9600, 8, none, 1 and none for flow control.

It is Hilgraeve version 7.0

If possible, try something else like putty..ther have been cases where hyperterm did not work.

go through the cisco doc posted previously. there is another link on what to do if control break doesnt work.

after that...im outta ideas.

thanks!

fzamora
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

try putty and use the special command option, right click on the top and select special command, then selec break.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card