Views
Helpful
Replies

Path-jitter IP SLA down trigger?

Larry Sullivan
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what exactly is triggering our Path-jitter SLA.  My understanding is that it is based on the 1000 ms timeout we configured.  I'm also being told that there is some default value for jitter that triggers the SLA to be down.  This came up because a few milliseconds in latency changes on our circuit path is triggering the SLA.  Can anyone confirm if it's strictly the configured timeout time or if this also triggers off a default jitter value?  Thanks.

ip sla 11
path-jitter x.x.x.x source-ip x.x.x.x targetOnlysla, ip, WAN, Other Routing
verify-data
threshold 1000
timeout 1000
frequency 10
ip sla schedule 11 life forever start-time now

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

here both timeout and frequency play the role. what kind of action you configuring with this SLA.

timeout 1000 (1000 is milliseconds)

frequency 10 ( every 10 seconds)

in your case even the link fails, this will trigger, so trying to understand what is your end goal with SLA

Voice is sensitive application. this need to be closely monitor and tune the value based on the learn lesson with environment

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I know timeout plays a role, but I'm also trying to determine if any of the jitter parameters can trigger SLA down, which I don't think it does.  This would definitely trigger on a link fail as  that would timeout the SLA after the 1000ms.  so my guess is although the is a path-jitter SLA and it gives you jitter statistics, it only goes into the down state when it doesn't get a reply from one of it's echo probes within 1000ms. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card