cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Peer networking on ASR 1001-X (Warning: use /31 mask on non point-to-point interface cautiously)

tahscolony
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question I need an answer on, so hopefully someone has done this in production.  We have a trunk coming from a cloud provider, they assign a /31 block, 255.255.255.254 IP for the links.  I am labbing this up on 2811 routers and discovered when I use a /31 I cannot ping across the link.  Since the actual connection will be layer 2 back to our router, through a series of switches, and will terminate on a subinterface, I have the lab setup as it will be in production.  If I use a /30, of course it works fine.

What I need to know is if on the ASR 1001-X if a /31 address will work in this scenario, as in platform specific issues, or older IOS issues.  I do know that earlier versions in the same train wont even allow me to do a /31 subnet.  I basically can't imagine it not working on the newer platform since cloud providers use a trunk to connect to the customer and route various networks over it using /31 subnets.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

just verified, this works on IOS XE as well. I have tested it on XE 3.16 release - 15.5(3)S

Thanks
--Vinit

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Vinit Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

i tried it on VIRL and it works fine. I am using 15.5 release. What is the IP address that you are using on both sides?

Thanks
--Vinit

Will check it on IOS XE as well and see if there is any issue noticed

Thanks
--Vinit

just verified, this works on IOS XE as well. I have tested it on XE 3.16 release - 15.5(3)S

Thanks
--Vinit

Perfect, that is what I needed to know. I am running older 12.4 code on a pair of 2811, and had a feeling it was just due to the IOS version and/or platform.  For an IP I use 66.77.88.1 and just realized WHY it didn't work.  DOH, OK back to subnetting school for me.  I will try with the CORRECT IP addresses of 0 and 1.

EDIT. Yeah, thats what it was. I put the correct IP's on the interface so they fall into the proper subnet and bingo, got it working, along with VRF and BGP import/export routing. Now just need to get BGP into OSPF and vise versa for internal routing and then my POC will be done.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card