Views
Helpful
Replies

Permanent license to smart licensing

Andrey.A
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I need to upgrade router from 16.8.1 to some newer version probably 16.12.x. Because on new IOS versions you need to use smart licensing, my question is what's happening with currently permanent licenses? If router has securityk9 or appxk9  installed and active, when you jump to 16.12. version all license are moved to evaluation period of 90 days. Does the router still has all features like before? I know that I need to do conversion from traditional to smart licensing, and I will do that. Because of some available MW i would like to do upgrade and later complete smart licensing steps (need to set up Satellite and communication), but if router loses security features after upgrade it's no good.

Thank you all in advance,

Andrey

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can convert PAK to a smart License for the new version of code 16.12.X mandatory smart License.

(if you have do not have an account, worth contact licese@cisco.com - can help you) - your Router work as expected with RTU License.

here is the video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgwlfVTJfag

https://software.cisco.com/web/fw/softwareworkspace/smartlicensing/ssmcompiledhelps/c_Convert_Classic_Licensing.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Andrey.A
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @balaji.bandi thank you for reply. Just quick question. After you register device with smart account, you don't need to perform any additional configuration? Security and appx license will be automatically authorized by device, correct?

you need to configure on the device to contact the smart License server of the cloud to get register and validation.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card