cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 500 static vs dynamic IP

cmc
Level 1
Level 1

Our PIX 500 is currently configured to receive its IP address dynamically.  We need to change this to a static, and login to the unit with no problem, find the area to choose which type of connection we have, and have no success establishing a statis IP.

We have purchased one from our ISP, and we're given IP, subnet mask, gateway and DNS numbers.  Other than that, no other settings are provided.  We plug this info in, and go nowhere.  Setting the unit back to dynamic and everything functions again.

One piece of software requires the static, or else everything would be fine.  The ports that have been opened as required by other software are unaffected by changing static v dynamic.

I can provide more information as requested...I apologize, as all of the routers I've worked with only require the four pieces of info as described above.  I know it is probably something painfully easy, but cannot seem to track down the setting.

We are on a cable modem system that requires no authorization.

Thanks in advance forany assistance,

Dan

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Dan-

The info the ISP provided is all you need. This sounds like an ARP problem. Try and coordinate your change with the ISP and have them clear ARP on their side. If you have the time, you can make the change on your side and wait. Eventually your old entry will be removed and the new one will be valid and you should have access. Let us know how it goes.

Hope it helps.

Thanks, we'll coordinate with the ISP and see what happens.

Dan

Collin,

ISP indicates it may be at our end (of course), here's where I'm at...

Cisco Pix Manager is 3.0(4)

In Configuration, System Properties, Category Interface, I edit the IP from DHCP to Static, and type in IP and Subnet Mask

In Category DHCP Services - Server, Other DHCP options, I remove the check on Autoconfig so I can inpuit DNS addresses.  My ISP typically does not require WINS or domain.

I can only find a gateway under Routing, Static Route, edit and there I have IP, Gateway, and a Subnet Mask that does not allow me the option of 255.255.255.224 as required by my ISP.

I am unsuire at this point if I am even in the proper areas to apply the four pieces of info (IP/SM/GW/DNS) needed.

All of our port forwarding holds as we've been attempting this.

I appreciate any clarifications on my potential missteps.

Thanks in advance (again),

Dan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: