cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Please help me keep my hair....

t.laidacker4425
Level 1
Level 1

Our company recently purchased a used Cisco 1811 router as a replacement for our Netgear fvg318.  I have been haunting both the Cisco support site and this site for the past two weeks, trying desperately to get the 1811 to act like a router, to no avail. The setup we are looking for is a pretty straightforward; cable modem supplied DHCP address on the outside with router DHCP supplied addresses on the inside. Finally, after two weeks of reading, experimenting, pouting and hair-pulling, the router is getting its address from the cable modem and is supplying DHCP addresses to the inside. However, I still can't get a ping to my nameservers from SDM. When I test the connection in SDM, it always fails when pinging. I believe I've tried everything but I know I'm missing something in my research. Could someone please look at my attached config and give me an idea of what I'm overlooking?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Terry,

One immediate problem I am seeing: your default route is configured using the outgoing interface only:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet0

For  various technical reasons, this may not work at all and prevent your  router from accessing the internet altogether. Considering the fact that  you are using DHCP on your FastEthernet0 interface to obtain the  outside IP address, this DHCP will also assign a default route (the  gateway) to your router dynamically. Therefore, I suggest you remove  that line from your configuration altogether. If you are able to log  into your router via Telnet or SSH, log in using your Admin account, and  enter these commands:

configure terminal

no ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

end

write

This  will remove the line from the configuration and save the modified  configuration to the startup-config file. If you are using SDM only, I  am sorry but you will have to find your way to remove that line as I do  not use these graphical tools.

Furthermore, I strongly suggest removing the access lists from your FastEthernet0 and Vlan1  interfaces for now. They are not well formatted and may prevent you from  properly communicating. The ACL 101 used on the Fa0 interface even  prevents it from obtaining IP configuration via DHCP (it does not allow  the DHCP traffic!)

Again, you may use the following configuration comands:

configure terminal

interface fa0

no ip access-group 101 in

no ip access-group sdm_fastethernet0_out out

exit

interface vlan1

no ip access-group 100 in

end

write

These two changes are, in my opinion, crucial to allow your router to obtain its IP configuration via DHCP successfully, and to start routing packets. If these changes allow you to obtain IP connectivity, we can later put the ACLs back after we correct them.

Best regards,

Peter

Thank you very much for the help Peter!

After applying your changes I am now able to ping the nameservers (from SDM and through DOS ping.) Now that that has been solved though, another issue has shown up. I am not getting name resolution (I think, I should say.) The PCs indicate that they have internet connectivity, but browsers are unable to go anywhere using resolved names, I didn't know any IP addresses off hand so I'm going to switch over in a moment and try this site's IP in a moment. Just wanted to say thanks first.

I'll post in a moment with my results of the next test.

I also wanted to note that initially I had no ACLs (that I'm aware of) in the 1811, but added them through the SDM in a last ditch effort to allow every kind of communication I could find. So I'm guessing that the default route issue was the problem. One last question though, shouldn't I be defining a default route somewhere that uses the default gateway address which shows up in the Netgear's WAN setup, which is actually the cable modem's inside address?

Terry,

You are welcome.

Please verify if your PCs that get their IP configuration from the DHCP server on the 1811 also get the IP address of a DNS server. If not, try to deactivate and reactivate the network card on the PC and see if the DNS address has been supplied via DHCP. If not then it is possible that this setting is not provided to your router automatically, and has to be statically defined in your DHCP configuration as follows:

configure terminal

ip dhcp pool sdm-pool

dns-server X.X.X.X Y.Y.Y.Y ...

end

write

where X.X.X.X and Y.Y.Y.Y are the IP addresses of DNS servers to be assigned to PCs - there can be multiple addresses present in a single dns-server command.

Please do not put the ACLs back just yet. First, let's get your communication working fully without them. After that, we can put them back after correcting some of them.

Regarding the default route: you could add such a default route to your configuration. Then again, this route is already being added to your router dynamically via DHCP, so it is not necessary to have it configured.

Best regards,

Peter

Hey Peter, Thanks Again!!

While waiting for your next reply I went back to the router console and tried simply enabling domain-lookup and I'm proud to say that I am replying to this post through the 1811.

You've been a huge help, and I really appreciate it (so does my hair.) I got so excited about connectivity that I completely forgot about ACLs for a moment, so I'm real glad you mentioned them again. I'm going to wait and see what you've got to say before I attempt anything else.

If I could borrow a little bit more of your expertise... when we purchased the 1811 (on Ebay) it was pictured with the antennas and listed as an 1811w, which is isn't as it doesn't have a radio or spaces in the casing where antenna connections would come through. Anyway, I'm thinking that I'll use the Netgear as a zone router for the wireless machines. This means that I will have to turn on the RIP protocols correct? Would I then have to add any wireless com considerations in the 1811's setup? Should I set up the switchport and Netgear with statics?

Thanks again for all your help.

Hi Terry,

Wonderful - thanks for your generous ratings and letting me know that you gradually got it running

As it is 1:25am here in Slovakia, and I must be getting up again in 5 hours, i have to apologize and have some sleep but I promise to post the corrected ACLs for you here in the upcoming 24 hours. Please do test your configuration in the meantime - try even powering your 1811 off and back on and see if everything comes back up properly, and do come back with any remaining issues you might have.

Best regards,

Peter

Hello Terry,

Regarding your ACLs...

If you do not plan to limit the access of your internal network to the internet then you do not need the ACL 100. You may delete it in that case.

The ACL 101 needed a bit of reworking, mostly due to DHCP and the most usual protocols that need to be statically enabled.

This is the list of changes I would personally suggest pasting to your router configuration.

no ip dhcp pool AIWNet

no ip address-pool local

!

ip dhcp pool sdm-pool

lease 0 1

!

interface FastEthernet0

no ip access-group 101 in

no ip access-group sdm_fastethernet0_out out

!

interface Vlan1

no ip access-group 100 in

!

no access-list 100

no access-list 101

no ip access-list extended sdm_fastethernet0_out

!

access-list 101 remark auto generated by SDM firewall configuration

access-list 101 remark SDM_ACL Category=1

access-list 101 permit udp host 68.105.29.16 eq domain any

access-list 101 permit udp host 68.105.28.16 eq domain any

access-list 101 permit icmp any any echo-reply

access-list 101 permit icmp any any time-exceeded

access-list 101 permit icmp any any unreachable

access-list 101 permit icmp any any packet-too-big

access-list 101 permit udp any eq bootps any eq bootpc

access-list 101 deny   ip 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any

access-list 101 deny   ip 172.16.0.0 0.15.255.255 any

access-list 101 deny   ip 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 any

access-list 101 deny   ip 127.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any

access-list 101 deny   ip host 255.255.255.255 any

access-list 101 deny   ip any any log !

interface FastEthernet0

ip access-group 101 in

This configuration changes replace the ACL 101, delete the unused ACLs 100 and sdm_fastethernet0_out and also remove some superfluous or too generous settings.

Regarding your question about the Netgear and wireless access: whether you need to run RIP depends on the setting of the Netgear. If it is configured to work as a router between its wireless and wired interface then some kind of routing is called for. It does not have to be RIP - a static route in your case would be perfectly sufficient, without the overhead of running a dynamic routing protocol. The easiest way to set up this, however, would be if you could configure your Netgear for a switched/bridged operation between its wireless and wired ports, and connect it to your 1811. This way, the wired and wireless network would share the same IP space and no further configuration on the 1811 would be necessary. I assume that the Netgear already has some LAN ports which are bridged with the wireless interface - so it should suffice to connect one of Netgear's LAN ports to the 1811 LAN port.

Please back up your configuration before making my suggested changes so that you can revert back to it in case something goes wrong. Also, after modifying the configuration, do not forget to store it, and try restarting the 1811 to see if everything comes up properly after reboot.

Best regards,

Peter

not sure if you'll be coming back, but just in case you do... Thanks again for all of your help Peter.

I should note that I was mistaken on Saturday when I reported that I was successfully browsing through the 1811. I had forgotten to switch my browser PC over and fooled myself because I had just been working on my console PC. When I discovered my blunder I switched the browser PC over and alas, I was still not getting name resolution.

Today is the first day that I've had any time to even look at the 1811 and I won't be able to test connectivity until about 3:30 Pacific Standard, after most everyone has already gone home for the evening. I have entered the ACL changes you suggested, and while looking at the running config I noticed that my "ip dhcp-pool" settings already include a "dns-server" line with both servers listed. I must have l must have put it there back on Saturday.

If I'm not typing into a cyberspace black hole, I'll let you know how it goes this afternoon.

Thanks again, Peter

p.s. where would i find any research material that would have enlightened me as far as proper default routing and some of the other bits of cisco gold you've given me? Some of my incorrect entries come straight out of the documentation/papers/discussions I have read.

Hello Terry,

You are welcome!

After you perform the tests today, please do come back and tell me what works and what does not. If your name resolution in particular does not work, please verify that your PC stations are being assigned the correct DNS server. You may also want to verify the basic IP and NAT connectivity by pinging an external IP address (you may try pinging the 158.193.138.40 or 87.197.31.42, these should answer).

In any case, please attach the most recent version of your running-config.

Regarding the research material... To be honest, I do not even remember where did I get that information I provided you with. Being several years with Cisco devices, you simply learn things. But in your case, the problem was caused by the fact that a static route that points out an interface without a next-hop address is considered a directly connected network. And, naturally, as for all directly connected networks, there is no more routing expected - the router thinks that it can talk to each destination directly. In your case, your router was thinking that the entire internet "sits" on the cable behind the Ethernet interface. As a result, the router tried to ARP for each and every destination IP address in a packet being routed out that interface, and naturally, nobody responded because nobody had that particular IP address on that segment.

If the cable modem supported the so-called Proxy ARP function (answering ARP replies even if I do not have the IP address that is being searched for but I know how to reach it), it would apparently work but you would get a separate ARP cache entry for each destination address you spoke to, growing possibly to hundreds or thousands of entries.

Looking forward to reading from you.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card