Views
Helpful
Replies

POE on Cisco 887VA-W-E-K9

gareth.rooney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Have they changed the poe requirements for this router? This model seems to be a seconed gen 887 with internal wireless, fanless and instead of there being a second 2 pin power socket for the poe option there is just 1 power input with the text under is saying. 'poe option requires 5a power adapter'

I have purchased the 800-IL-PM=2 to delivery poe on the first 2 ports from this document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/data_sheet_c78-613481.html

While the daughter board does fit in the stand off pegs are too short and the power adapter is incompatable.

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards

Gareth

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The PoE option comes in two parts, the PoE daughter board and a separate power supply. 

Correct. the 800-IL-PM=2 contains a power adapter (doesnt fit and doesnt look the correct power rating), daughter board (that does appear to fit), 3x stand off pegs (too short) and 3 screws (fine).

Can anyone else please help?

Hmmm ... There should be some installation instructions for this.

Agreed. However cant find anything anyware.

Looking at the unit its almost like they have decided to do away with the second power brick being plugged into the unit in favor of replacing the standard power supply with an uprated one.

See attached image. Also notice the lack of wireless antenna (now internal) and the unit is fanless.

Regards

Gareth

I agree with Paolo's post.

Contact where you got this from. 

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you contact Cisco via the reseller channel ? It may save time and discussion if you can include pictures of all parts involved, clearly shwoing part numbers and serial numbers.

Just in case anyone else runs into this, in order to get POE on this router you need to order a certain part number WHEN ORDERING THE ROUTER FROM DISTRIBUTION.   If you want to add POE after your only option is part C800-PWRINJ-4=

[So basicallly another shambles from Cisco.  Note also the data sheet still points to the wrong part.]

See below:-

Q: What is the power module part number for the Cisco 887VA router?

A: The part number that was stated on the data sheet, which is 800-IL-PM=2, is actually not compatible with the Cisco 887VA routers. You will actually need to choose the power module part number 800G2-POE-2, if you will be purchasing it along with the router, or the C800-PWRINJ-4 in which you can purchase it as a spare. Though the data sheet doesn't tackle those part numbers, we got those information through our Cisco internal document or links.

C800-PWRINJ-4=              External 4 Port 802.3af inline pwr module for Cisco Routers                          USD 200.00

Even the Product Configuration Toos lists 800-IL-PM-2 ($150) as PoE option when ordered with the 887VA..

There only three references to 800G2-POE-2 on the entire Cisco website. However it appears to be orderable from various onlines resellers.

As you said, Cisco should clarify and rectify this ASAP.

I think you'll run into problems if trying to order 800G2-POE-2 from the 'online retailers'.

I'm being told the only way this is orderable is to place an order for the router WITH this part as a special build order from Cisco, it's not available as a separate part at all.

I seem to remember similar problems with the extra memory for the 877W a few years ago until they saw sense and shipped newer versions with enough memory to actually run the software...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card