cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Policing on 7613 SVI

David Williams
Level 1
Level 1

I have what may seem like a basic question.  We have built some policers to apply to vlan SVIs on our 7613 so that we can rate limit input and output traffic.  We followed the Cisco formula and got this.

policy-map vlan-shape-3meg

class class-default

police cir 3000000 bc 562500 be 1125000    conform-action transmit     exceed-action drop     violate-action drop

There have been some complaints about this not actually meeting the limit.  When I do a show policy-map interface xxx I get this.  Based on that it looks like the Be value is being change to match the Bc value. 

On a separate note, I noticed that every policer we built with the cisco formula actually ends up with a Tc greater than the max Tc of .125 seconds. It seems odd that a recommended formula would end up creating values outside the maximum allowed limits by the software.

I'm not a QoS expert so if any of this seems like basic stuff it's just because I'm a little slow on QoS. 

Vlan2

Service-policy input: temp-remove

class-map: class-default (match-any)

Match: any

police :

3000000 bps 562000 limit 562000 extended limit

Earl in slot 5 :

0 bytes

5 minute offered rate 0 bps

aggregate-forwarded 0 bytes action: transmit

exceeded 0 bytes action: drop

aggregate-forward 0 bps exceed 0 bps

Service-policy output: temp-remove

class-map: class-default (match-any)

Match: any

police :

3000000 bps 562000 limit 562000 extended limit

Earl in slot 5 :

940 bytes

5 minute offered rate 0 bps

aggregate-forwarded 940 bytes action: transmit

exceeded 0 bytes action: drop

aggregate-forward 0 bps exceed 0 bps

One other thing...in order to apply policers input and output on an SVI does mls qos vlan-based have to be configured on the trunks tagged with the corresponding Vlan?

Thanks for any offered explanations.  I have to figure this out but my curiousity has been peaked by this.

1 Reply 1

David Williams
Level 1
Level 1

Surely this is not that mysterious a problem.  Anyone with knowledge of 6500 architecture or 7600 code should have some advice.  Please?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card