Views
Helpful
Replies

Policy map question

SCDow
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

Apologies if this question is in the wrong place, any redirection will be humbly noted...

I wanted to ask about the behaviour of a single 5Mbps policy-map when applied on 4 sub-interfaces simultaneously. In this case I'm traffic shaping and each sub has a limit of 5Mbps, and rather than create 4 separate, identical policy-maps to apply as service policies on the subs, I've applied the same map to all. I'm worried however that they may be processed together in real time under a single process.

So could I ask please, is this processed;

1) as a single instance, where traffic from all 4 subs is combined and limited to 5Mbps

2) separately, where each subinterface calls and processes an instance of the policy map separately?

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's fine to use the same service policy on more than one interface, even subinterfaces on the same physical interface.  Each interface configured policy will be applied as its own.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's fine to use the same service policy on more than one interface, even subinterfaces on the same physical interface.  Each interface configured policy will be applied as its own.

Thank you Joseph!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card