cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Poling Gaps

IanBeggs40385
Level 1
Level 1

Hey there Everyone. I am trying to find more information on how the polling is done through Hardware VPN set up. Is it done through a trace Route or a ping? Currently my company states that a polling gap of more than 2 minutes means that there was simply a lack of internet connection to the hardware VPN. Not my definition. LOL. I will post an example of what i am talking about. Any insight? Keep in mind that when I run this through UC tools , in many cases, I show no packet loss, latency, Jitter or drop in MOS during the times the polling gaps exceed 3 minutes.  Thanks 

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are several things in your post for which we would like some clarification. When you mention hardware VPN what is it that you mean? Is this a VPN using a hardware device dedicated to encrypting the traffic using the VPN? Is this a VPN using a hardware firewall dedicated to VPN? Is this a VPN using a general purpose firewall? Or something else?

When you mention polling what is it that you mean? Is it actually some device polling a remote device? Is it something that is checking for Internet connectivity? Is it something that is checking for access to resources through the VPN?

If we knew more about what you are looking for we might be able to provide better suggestions.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hey there, thanks. Our agents set up uses an aruba VPN router to connect to our VPN. Thin client is connected to aruba and connects to our controller to view desktop image.  We use UC tools for reporting and tracking. We are supposed to get a poling report for connection every two minutes. My question is what can cause a polling report to fail and show a longer gap? Is it exclusively ISP connection or can it possibly be an issue with the controller? 

Thanks again. Trying to explain without giving too much information. 

The limited information is slightly helpful. If you use UC tools for reporting then the polling report is generated from their activity and their measurement. I do not have enough information with that to offer much of an answer. But it seems to me that it is quite possible that issues with the controller as well as issues with ISP would be capable of causing a polling report to fail.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the help. I know what i offered was limited. I appreciate your response though. thanks again 

You are welcome. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I definitely will be!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card