Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

port-channel Not working

hi all,

had anyone encounter issue where port-channel not working after restart server(IBM LPAR),

as eg. when run show interface its shows :

port-channel32 is down (no operational member)

admin state is up.

vPC Status: Down, vPC number: 32 [packets forwarded via vPC peer-link]

workaround that i just did:

1. shut and no shut port switch port--> fail

2. tried switch current switch port to another module and reconfigure --> fail

3. shut and no shut port-channel32 --> fail

4. remove port-channel32 from core switch and add fresh port-channel(same as configuration before) --> fail

solution :

5. remove vpc 32 at port-channel configuration and change

server configuration(interval long to short)--> ok

interface port-channel32
switchport
switchport access vlan 26
storm-control broadcast level 40.00
storm-control multicast level 40.00

6. create new port-channel(different number) reconfigure the new port-channel with same configuration without change any configuration at server side--> ok

switchport
switchport access vlan 131
storm-control broadcast level 40.00
storm-control multicast level 40.00
vpc 666

could anyone help me on which solution is best and give some input?

no. 5 should i use without vpc and why should i remove vpc as previous configuration no changes was made on that port-channel32 . or no. 6 create new port-channel666 with vpc and no changes to server side.

can anybody give some opinion please... :)

4 Replies 4

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Zarif,

the portchannel that you run to the IBM server, how many physical ports are part of this and do these ports hook into two physically different switches?  if no, then dont bother using vPC

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

hi Dennis,

thanks for your reply, from server side there are 4 physical port involve(2 cable connected to nexus core switch-1 and another 2 connected to nexus core switch-2).
All port configuration are the same. i'am not sure why but the weird thing is if i create new port-channel666. everything looks ok (""port-channel32 is up"). And if i remove port-channel32 from nexus and recreate same port-channel(port-channel32) still have problem it shows "port-channel32 is down (no operational member)".

Hello,

which device to you have on the IBM side ?

hi there,

the IBM device we use logical partition(LPARs):
System Model: IBM,8205-E6D
Processor Type: PowerPC_POWER7

p/s if i use port-channel32 at core switch. i have to reconfigure LPARs interval from long to short. if create new port-channel666 for example. no changes from LPARs side. what's bugging me is we have same model nexus at other side with same configuration at both nexus and LPARs site and run perfectly smooth. but at this site got issue.

is there any suggestion? or explanation based on ur experience why this is happening. appreciate if you could give some. :)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card