cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPP route overrides IP static route

cheery Tomato
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem where the PPP default route is overriding a static IP route.

I have cleared the route table for the default route and the static route.

I can see the connections are all up and working.

I have captured the traffic entering the correct Gi0/0 interface but exits via the Dialer interface.

I can't see why the dialer interface is taking precedence over the configured static route.

I have attached a network diagram to add to the description.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have changed the IP addresses to protect the innocent.

Cheers.

!
interface Dialer1

ppp ipcp route default

exit

!

ip route 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.255 10.11.11.2

!

Router#sh ip route 0.0.0.0
Routing entry for 0.0.0.0/0, supernet
Known via "static", distance 1, metric 0, candidate default path
Routing Descriptor Blocks:
Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1

!

Router#sh ip route 10.10.10.1
Routing entry for 10.10.10.1/32
Known via "static", distance 1, metric 0
Routing Descriptor Blocks:
Route metric is 0, traffic share count is 1

!

4 Replies 4

willwetherman
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I can't see why this would be an issue as the routing table entries look correct.

How are you capturing the traffic and seeing that return traffic to 10.10.10.1 is exiting out of the dialer 1 interface?

Running a monitor capture on the router, and capturing "ip cef" and "process-switched" traffic. It wasn't until I setup the process switched traffic that I found where the traffic was exiting.

Hi,

Ok. I assume that you have been testing the traffic flow by sending pings to your router from 10.10.10.1 as this would explain why you had to enable the traffic capture for process switched traffic?

Can you post the output of show ip cef 10.10.10.1? Does it clearly show that the route recurses to next hop 10.11.11.2 via interface Gig0/0?

Do you have outside NAT configured on the router that could be modifying the source IP of 10.10.10.1 as its entering the router?

Any local Policy Based Routing configured?

Hello,

not sure if that is what you are asking, but the PPP host route cannot be overridden. If you want to get rid of it, use the 'no peer neighbor-route' command in your PPP interface configurations...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card