ANNOUNCEMENT - The community will be down for maintenace this Thursday August 13 from 12:00 AM PT to 02:00 AM PT. As a precaution save your work.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

PPPoE on an 802.1x Sub-interface

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if is possible to configure a router subinterface to authenticate with an ISP DSL modem. I tried to configure the interface with the command "pppoe enable" but I'm receiving the following message:

PPPoE create bba subblock failed.

I do not know if the this output is because the Interface is actually a sub-interface (Fa0.10) or maybe I forgot to enable something else.

Best Regards,

Jose

Everyone's tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Hall of Fame Cisco Employee

Hi Jose,

Are you talking about 802.1X or 802.1Q? It appears that you want to discuss 802.1Q subinterfaces and PPPoE running on them.

Configuring PPPoE clients/servers on 802.1Q subinterfaces should work just fine. Perhaps you could post your current running-config and also a transcript of the session where you try to configure the PPPoE and the error message appears. The larger context will hopefully provide more information to see what is the problem.

Best regards,

Peter

Highlighted
Hall of Fame Master

Re: PPPoE on an 802.1x Sub-interface

Often some feature do not work on sub-interfaces.

For pppoe-client that is not too bad because it can co-exist with an regular IP address on the main itnerface.

Highlighted
Hall of Fame Cisco Employee

Paolo,

True. I am sure that several IOSes support the PPPoE Client on 802.1Q subinterfaces. However, I recall that this feature was not universally available. Perhaps Jose could tell use the type of his device and the IOS version.

Best regards,

Peter