cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPPoE Server is not routing properly.

netopia
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently configured an ISR 4321 to act as a PPPoE server.  I have moved the configuration wholesale over from my old 1941 router.  Clients now are able to authenticate and get a PPPoE address, but are unable to reach the gateway, or indeed, anywhere else.

It strikes me there is probably something missing, but I can't figure it out.

Here's the configuration I have:

bba-group pppoe global
virtual-template 1
!
interface Loopback1
ip address 10.64.249.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0.2009
description pppoe interface
encapsulation dot1Q 2009
pppoe enable group global
!
interface Virtual-Template1
description pppoe interface
mtu 1492
ip unnumbered Loopback1
peer default ip address pool PPPnet
keepalive 300
ppp authentication pap chap
ppp ipcp dns 10.64.1.2
!
ip local pool PPPnet 10.64.249.101 10.64.249.199
!

3 Replies 3

Hello

@netopia wrote:

Clients now are able to authenticate and get a PPPoE address, but are unable to reach the gateway, or indeed, anywhere else.

From ppoe client does it have a default route?

sh ip route 

If not either apply a static default route or enable an ipcp default to the client dallier interface

conf t
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dialer x

or

int dialer x
ppp ipcp route default   <--restart interface after applying

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I've got a default route on my client (it's not a cisco product), so it's not the route for the client.

Jialiang Zhang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have handled one issue, license appxk9 is necessary at ISR4k for PPPoE, ipbasek9 is not enough.

---------------------------------------

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/dial-access/virtual-private-dialup-network-vpdn/118442-config-isr4000-00.html

Restriction - appxk9 must be active on the ISR4000 router. Without this license, the route will get installed towards the client at the end of PPP negotiation, but Layer 3 connectivity between the client and the server will not be established.

---------------------------------------

Please kindly try "license boot level appxk9" .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: