Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PPTP VPN with L3 switch

Hello,

I currently have an ASUS GT-AC5300 which is running a PPTP MSCHAPv2 VPN.  I would to modify this to just be a wireless access point and use one of my L3 switches as my edge router instead.  Is it possible to do a similar VPN with the L3 switch?  I've found a few articles that would seem to suggest so but I was hoping someone could give me some examples/insight into how to configure that.

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

You cannot configure PPTP on a cisco switch. You can configure it on old ISR routers < G2 models.

I believe the only cisco product that still supports it is the RV routers.

Cisco would much rather you use AnyConnect...which would allow you to use current ISR and ASA platforms.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

You cannot configure PPTP on a cisco switch. You can configure it on old ISR routers < G2 models.

I believe the only cisco product that still supports it is the RV routers.

Cisco would much rather you use AnyConnect...which would allow you to use current ISR and ASA platforms.

cheers,

Seb.

Ok.  I suppose a possible work around would be to run the VPN off a server behind my L3 switch then or would that represent issues as well?

At the very least you need a device which can perform NAT, something a L3 switch cannot do. You should look at getting either a router or firewall as your internet edge device.

cheers,

Seb.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card