cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pre-requisities for HSRP

ssethu_dce
Level 1
Level 1

What are the pre-requisities for HSRP Implemenation?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello, Normally you would have a trunk link between the layer 3 switches - a bit like this

The trunk would provide the connectivity and reachability between SVI's for vlans. For example this is for vlan 10 as an example.

But of course you can tweak the standby parameters to suit your environment.

The unmanaged switches will NOT work - I wouldn't use L2 unmanageable switches with manageable switches like the 3560's. The reason being, there will be a loop in the network at the layer 2 level and your network would be very unstable. It is not best practice to do this.

This would have the layer 2 loop for both vlans but - like this for vlan 20:

Please see this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00800951ac.shtml

My advice would be to have manageable switches everywhere in your network if you want a solid foundation for your network.

Hope this helps

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, as far as i know, you need a router / layer 3 switch in a pair, with layer 1, layer 2 and layer 3 connectivity between them.

And an IOS image on them both that support HSRP

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

In our senario we have one 3560x L3 Swich & L2 Unmanagable swithes, we have configured 17vlans in L3 and uplink ports are configured as a switchport access mode. Now we are planning to place the L3 hardware redundany & VLAN redundany
Now addetionaly purchased Same type of L3 Switch & Same IOS. Both L3 Switches only managable remaining L2 switches are unmanagable.

Please find my following Questions.
How to do Connect the Unmanagable Switches in secondary L3 Switch?
HSRP will work with L2 Unmanagable (using uplink as a switchport access mode)?

Hello, Normally you would have a trunk link between the layer 3 switches - a bit like this

The trunk would provide the connectivity and reachability between SVI's for vlans. For example this is for vlan 10 as an example.

But of course you can tweak the standby parameters to suit your environment.

The unmanaged switches will NOT work - I wouldn't use L2 unmanageable switches with manageable switches like the 3560's. The reason being, there will be a loop in the network at the layer 2 level and your network would be very unstable. It is not best practice to do this.

This would have the layer 2 loop for both vlans but - like this for vlan 20:

Please see this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00800951ac.shtml

My advice would be to have manageable switches everywhere in your network if you want a solid foundation for your network.

Hope this helps

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hello,

Can we use the Cisco-Linksys sg300 model switch in 3560X HSRP environment?

what are the issues may happen like compatability issue, when connections between Primary & Secondary L3 Switches using as a trunk link?

Thank you,                  

Hello, Im not quite sure, but I think the SG300 model will support trunking. You will have no compatibility issues.

Instead, all of your links will be trunk links and spanning-tree will work out which port is to be in blocking state to prevent loops.

Hope this helps

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card