cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PRI + PVDM2-12DM

UCcomp2007
Level 2
Level 2

Our customer has a full PRI (along with 23 DID's) coming into the router. The telco is sending the last four digits to router. Out of the 23 voice channels, four (along with four specific DID's) need to be configured so they drop onto the onboard modem card PVDM2-12DM and then sent out Ethernet interface. The other 19 channels will be used for voice only (CCM Environment).

Does someone have an example config for this? I know how to configure a PRI, but how to seperate four channels so they ultimatly get dropped off to ethernet network.

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I'm sorry but you cannot do that.

the reason is because the NM-xCE1T1-PRI that supports modem with the PVDM2-xDM, does not supports voice.

And, the VWIC or VWIC2 cards, that supports voice, do not support modem and the PVDM2-12DM.

The only device from Cisco that would be able to do that would from the AS5xxx family, any model equipped with "any port any service" technology.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

I need to correct my statement. There is a way to do what you want with an ISR router.

You will need both a VWIC or even better VWIC2 with 2 ports, PVDM2-x for voice, the NM-xCE1T1-PRI, and the PVDM2-12DM.

The connection will be with a T1 cross cable between VWIC and NM. The other VWIC port goes to telco. All interfaces are configured as PRI .

This way, the vwic would route calls for certain numbers to the NM using the cross cable, while processing voice again for the numbers you want.

hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

From the PVDM2-xDM data sheet, it leads one to believe that one can have modem calls and traditional voice calls coming over the same ISDN PRI from telco. I understand your recommendation above, but do not have the available Vwics to make that happen. Can you read verbaige from the data sheet (i pasted below) and tell me if it is possible to do what I need without the Vwic to NM arrangement you described.

"Single Solution for Modem and ISDN Callers

The Cisco 2800 and 3800 Series routers with Cisco Digital Modem PVDM Modules installed can accept incoming ISDN or voice calls and automatically switch them to the appropriate internal circuitry. The PRI switching is based on Q.931 messaging in the ISDN D channel. This out-of-band signaling channel provides a means for the telephone network to label each call according to its type. Specifically, when an incoming call is labeled "voice" by the telephone network, the Cisco router directs it to one of the router's modems. When a call is labeled "ISDN data," it is directed to one of the router's High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC) controllers. This approach provides the benefit of one phone number for both modem and ISDN users. R2 and CT1 interfaces also support this switching ability".

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_data_sheet0900aecd8050918e.html

thanks in advance,

Hi,

There is no distinction between voice and modem calls, in ISDN they are the same thing. So you will need to make the routing based on DID.

The data sheet is clearly saying that voice calls are sent to modems, not DSP for telephony application:

Specifically, when an incoming call is labeled "voice" by the telephone network, the Cisco router directs it to one of the router's modems

So as I mentioned before, in addition to what you have already, you will need a two port VWIC or VWIC2 and the PVDM2-x DSP module. The VWIC would be configured according to this document:

http://cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk653/technologies_tech_note09186a00804794c6.shtml

As a recognition to tho providing naswers, please rate all useful posts!

Thanks for your help. I just checked BOM and see we have an open Vwic.

Can you tell me or point me to a config doc describing how to configure the Vwic to route calls for certain numbers to the NM.

Regards,

That would be the document linked above.

Remember that you need a dual-port VWIC and a cross T1 to connect Nm and VWIC together. The router cannot do that internally.

As a recognition to tho providing naswers, please rate all useful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card