Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with Cisco 887VA

asadmaqsood
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am facing a problem with Cisco 887VA, it has been bought for DMVPN use but as this router has advance Security (router eigrp) command is not support as it was not supported in Cisco 877 so I upgarded Cisco 887VA to (c880data-universalk9-mz.124-22.YB8.bin) image but now when router restart it says

Wrong IOS image for the router

System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(22r)YB5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 2009 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C880 platform with 262144 Kbytes of main memory

Readonly ROMMON initialized

and it keeps on restarting n restarting

So wht shall I do to upgarde this router with an advance IP IOS to use (router eigrp) command.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Asad,

Looks like you will need to load a correct IOS verison into flash. Since you don't have removable flash on a 887, you will need to access ROMMON.

Follow the instructions here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_rommon.html#wp1027195

...then either use TFTP to download an image to the router:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_rommon.html#wp1070700

...or use the xmodem method:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_rommon.html#wp1044991

If you choose the xmodem method remember you will be limited by the conosle baud rate (9600), so it may be worth setting it to something higher. Only do this if you are happy to modifiy the config-register settings though!

Let us know if you get stuck on any of the above steps.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

Hi,

you should have a USB port on these routers where you can plug a USB key(FAT32) with a valid IOS on it.

You could then use the boot command to boot from the USB key then you'll be able to delete the old ios on flash and copy the newest one.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi,

use the boot system command to boot from USB key(save config) then delete the old IOS and copy newest one on flash with tftp or any other protocol of your choice.unplug USB key and reload and it should boot from flash then delete your boot system command(save config) and you should be ok provided you have enough flash and memory needed for newest IOS.

Regards

Alain

18 Replies 18

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Asad,

Looks like you will need to load a correct IOS verison into flash. Since you don't have removable flash on a 887, you will need to access ROMMON.

Follow the instructions here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_rommon.html#wp1027195

...then either use TFTP to download an image to the router:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_rommon.html#wp1070700

...or use the xmodem method:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1841/software/configuration/guide/b_rommon.html#wp1044991

If you choose the xmodem method remember you will be limited by the conosle baud rate (9600), so it may be worth setting it to something higher. Only do this if you are happy to modifiy the config-register settings though!

Let us know if you get stuck on any of the above steps.

cheers,

Seb.

jawad-mukhtar
Level 4
Level 4

It seems u deleted iOS please follow procedure documented on Cisco site always try to upgrade iOS through normal mode

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Jawad

Thank you Seb Rupik and Jawad Mukhtar

Router has been recovered on (c880data-universalk9-mz.153-3.M.bin)

but still I cant find router eigrp command in this IOS is there a way that I can upgarde it to advanced IP IOS of Cisco 887

Hi Asad,

Glad to hear you got it recovered!

To gain access to IOS images the easiest method is via a SmartNet contract for your device with Cisco. Unfortunately you can no longer download them yourself from Cisco.

cheers,

Seb.

jawad-mukhtar
Level 4
Level 4

U need a lic to activate that feature adv IP services or enterprise from cco account that need smart net privileges

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Jawad

Hi

After restart Router goes in rommon mode again

and I followed same process to re do IOS from TFTP

now it gives this

TFTP: Error, insufficient flash installed to load image.

TFTP: Operation terminated.

now whats wrong in it

What is the config register set to? Can you post a sh ver? I suspect it is not set to 0x2102

If it isn't set to 0x2102 at rommong ouse the following command and reload the router

rommon  > confreg 0x2102

You've run out of space on the flash memory.

Delete your previous 'c880data-universalk9-mz.153-3.M.bin' image and restart the TFTP download again.

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb Rupik

Ya flash memory space is went out but in rommon mode there is no command to del or format flash, if it del or format than IOS can be downloaded form TFTP but question is how to del that

Hi Asad,

If you can boot into IOS why not delte the .bin file from there:

delete flash:/c880data-universalk9-mz.153-3.M.bin

...and then load your new image via TFTP:

copy tftp flash

...since you only have one IOS image the router should load it once you issue the reload command. You can set the boot var. Check that boot var has been set:

show bootvar

...it should print out sometihng like:

BOOT variable = flash:c880data-universalk9-mz.153-3.M.bin

So try:

conf t

no boot system image flash:c880data-universalk9-mz.153-3.M.bin

boot system image flash:

exit

wr mem

reload

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb Rupik

Register value is ok but actually when router start it shows me wrong IOS for this router and when I go in rommon it doesnt pick up new bin file from tftp coz of insufficient space in flash.

To del or format flash these commands r not available in rommon mode if it does I have done this long time.

Is there n e other way.

Hi,

you should have a USB port on these routers where you can plug a USB key(FAT32) with a valid IOS on it.

You could then use the boot command to boot from the USB key then you'll be able to delete the old ios on flash and copy the newest one.

Regards

Alain

Hi Cadet Alain

I will try this and come back to you. Thank you

HI Cadet Alain

Router has been recovered by this process to its original IOS but still I want to upgarde this on advanced ip service IOS

HOW TO DO THAT

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card