Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with IPTV settings

Ivan Hristov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have the following problem:
I have an IPTV receiver receiving an IP from some BMG server at least that's how I found out from the provider. The problem is that the receiver must receive the IP from this server and not from the router. How to make Port2 public and give this server IP. My router is cisco RV340W

8 Replies 8

Hello,

as it is somewhat unclear what you are asking and what you are trying to achieve, can you provide a schematic drawing of the desired topology ? 

The IPTV port must take the IP from the BMG server instead of the router

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

Can you provide the info on the below queries. It will help in providing the possible solution to your issue

1. On the RV340W you have Internet active on only wan1 interface or is there another internet link on wan2 ?

2. When you mentioned Port2, is this the lan2-port of RV340W, to which the IPTV-Receiver is connected?

- Are there more than one IPTV-receivers connected to port2/lan2-port of RV340W?, and if yes each of them will have to get their ipaddress from the BMG-server in the subnet 45.35.25.x?

thanks

Wan port 2 is free.
A switch is connected to LAN port 2 and the other receivers are connected to it

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi 

One possible solution that would work (if my observations of a similar config in my network is correct) is by applying the below steps and refer to attached screenshots of the config on RV34X

1. Iam assuming that your internet link is on WAN1 (with the ipaddr 85.75.65.55/24 and Def-Gw: 85.75.65.1)

2. So on the RV34X first you create a separate vlan on the lan-side, say for example vlan-5, and you may configure any ipaddr to the vlan5 interface at this time....say for example you configure as 192.168.180.1/24....

- do a apply and also a permanent-save to startup-config

3. Next in the vlans to ports table, set the lan2-port/port2 to "Untagged" FOR VLAN-5 ONLY, and click on apply/save

4.Now connect the IPTV-Receiver to the lan2-port/port2  and/or ALL the IPTVs/devices that have to get ipaddr from BMG dhcp-server should be connected (via a lan-switch i guess) 

5. Next in the WAN config page, edit/configure the wan1 interface as a "bridge" with "vlan5" only. And also add the ipaddress of 85.75.65.55/24 (and def-gw 85.75.65.1) to this "bridged wan interface"

- do a apply/save on RV340W

6. Now check on the IPTV-receivers (re-initialize them again to make sure the dhcp-client service is started on the IPTVs

I think after point-5/point6 the IPTVs in vlan5 (port2/lan2-port) of RV340W are communicating to the BMG server directly due to the bridging and therefore these IPTVs should be getting the ipaddresses from the DHCP-BMG-server

hope it works for you

regards

I have tried this solution to the problem, but for a bridge I have to set a static IP and it must be on a DHCP server. Is there an option to be a bridge and DHCP?

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

HI

ok, thanks. In that case could you kindly try the steps mentioned in my previous post as a possible solution for your issue?

best wishes & regards

nagrajk1969
Spotlight
Spotlight

hosts-A----interface1[router]interface2----hostsB

- generally when you bridge 2 interfaces, you are merging the earlier 2 separate layer2-domains on either side of the router into 1 single layer2 domain...so that the layer2 and some layer3 broadcasts (arp, dhcp, etc)  from hostA reach hostB and vice-versa

- and most of the time the "bridge interface" on the router does not come into the picture when hostsA and hostsB communicate with each other...and so by standard you do not run a dhcp-client to get a ipaddress for the bridge interface (which is on the same layer2 as hostsA/hostsB. If needed for any reason we generally assign a static-ipaddress to the bridge interface

Now in the case of RV34X when bridging of a wan and a "specific vlanX interface", the wan interface continues to be a layer3 interface for traffic from other vlans (non-bridged) to be routed across the RV34X, and therefore since its now a bridged interface, we have to provide a static ipaddress for the bridged-wan interface

>>>and it must be on a DHCP server.

Ok, You mean that the internet-ipaddr 85.75,65.55 on wan1 interface is assigned via DHCP-server (on isp-router)?

Then in that case, since you have your wan2 interface free, you should do the below:

step-1. Connect a switch in between the ISP-router and RV34X. ensure that this is a Gigabit-switch

step-2. Connect both wan1 and wan2 interface to this switch, and also connect the isp-router/internet to this switch

step-3. Now this time configure the "bridge" between "wan2" and "vlan5"(to which the IPTV hosts are connected via a internal-lan-switch), and then assign some unused static-ipaddress such as for example "172.16.1.1/24 and default-gw ipaddr of say 172.16.1.254"....

- dont try to configure a ipaddress such as 1.1.1.x, or 2.2.2.x...etc on this bridge interface....always use the RFC1918-private-ipaddress-space such as from the subnets below (which are not used in your lan/vlan)

10.0.0.0/8

172.16.0.0/12

192.168.0.0/16

Step-4: Now you can and you should configure WAN1 interface as dhcp to get the internet ipaddr of 85.75.65.55 assigned...

So now what happens is that your IPTV hosts will still be able to connect to the dhcp-server on internet via the bridged vlan5/wan2 interface 

AND

the rest of the vlans/lan-networks behind the RV34X will be routed to internet via the WAN1 interface thru the same ISP-router which is connected to the switch on which both wan1 and wan2 interfaces are connected

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card