cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

%PUNT_INJECT-5-DROP_PUNT_CAUSE: punt policer drops packets, cause: l2tp-session (0x2c)

knadin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, hoping someone might have some thoughts regarding this error message. As you can see from the error, its being generated by "l2tp-session". We have a pseudowire l2tp-session over a DMVPN tunnel. I am not finding much information on the error. Maybe a Cisco bug? Maybe a configuration bug? Thanks in advance.

Local Router IOS : isr4400-universalk9.16.09.04.SPA.bin

Remote Router IOS : isr4400-universalk9.16.09.04.SPA.bin

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @knadin ,

you are right it may be  a SW bug

see the following thread with a similar message different cause

https://community.cisco.com/t5/cisco-bug-discussions/punt-inject-5-drop-punt-cause-punt-cause-policer-drop-packet/m-p/3959555

The meaning of the error message is that packets for the L2TP tunnel are process switched = PUNTed to main CPU and the PUNT policer that is in charge of protecting the main CPU from excessive packets punted is dropping them.

I have tried to search on BUG search tool but I didn't find an exact match for your cause note that 0x2c is in hexadecimal the cause code in decimal is 2*16 +12 = 44

It may also be your complex scenario that does not allow the device to use CEF to process the packets in the L2TP tunnel over DMVPN.

I would suggest to open a service request with Cisco TAC either this is a new bug either there is a functional limitation that you are hitting with your setup.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Great information, thanks. I will follow up with TAC

HaiderHani
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys, 

have you figured out the solution for this issue?

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You may try to use the latest advisory software release for the involved platforms and check if that can help.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

HaiderHani
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Marce, will do!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card