cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Put IR829 into ROMMON-1

pvoss
Level 1
Level 1

I want to put the latest software Bundle on my IR829 by using ROMMON-1 and a USB drive.

The router has not responded to the Break key or CTRL / Break in the first 60 seconds of power on.

I have also been able to use the config-register to start in ROMMON-2 but that does not give USB access.

Any ideas on how to put an IR829 into ROMMON-1 on purpose?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @pvoss ,

The procedure to update the bundle is indicated in this link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/829/software/configuration/guide/IR800config.pdf

Under the subtitle: Software Bundle Installation 

Now, if you want the router to start in rommon1, you should see the hypervisor in your NVRAM and delete it, since the router starts in rommon1 when they do not have a hypervisor.

I recommend you follow the procedure indicated in the manual.

Regards

View solution in original post

Just wanted to provide an update to what I have worked out.

For an IR829 to put in Rommon-2 mode change the config-reg to 0x0 otherwise known as manual boot.

To then traverse to Rommon-1 change the BOOT_HV= file name to any valid name on flash. This causes a boot error and stops boot in Rommon-1.

You may now use the usb port to transfer files!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @pvoss ,

The procedure to update the bundle is indicated in this link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/800/829/software/configuration/guide/IR800config.pdf

Under the subtitle: Software Bundle Installation 

Now, if you want the router to start in rommon1, you should see the hypervisor in your NVRAM and delete it, since the router starts in rommon1 when they do not have a hypervisor.

I recommend you follow the procedure indicated in the manual.

Regards

Disappointing that the only way to use a USB is to take a working system and break it.

Thanks for the link, I have tftp upgraded before and it looks like I will be in the future.

Too bad since USB is so much faster.

How to set boot system parameter before reloading the router.

I have upload the bundle image via TFTP. I want to run this new image, but how to set the boot system parameter ?

Normal routers are easy to upgrade, here I can see hypervisor, Guest-OS which are a bit confusing. 

Can anyone helps me with the procedure to upgrade the IR829 router to the latest OS as I am having facing issues, so just wanted to upgrade. Currently the router is shipped with the normal OS without bundle image. If I want to upgrade the software, I have to download the bundle image and push it to the router and install the new OS.

I am done with pushing the OS to the router, but seeking for an information to install the new software.

Thanks 

Just wanted to provide an update to what I have worked out.

For an IR829 to put in Rommon-2 mode change the config-reg to 0x0 otherwise known as manual boot.

To then traverse to Rommon-1 change the BOOT_HV= file name to any valid name on flash. This causes a boot error and stops boot in Rommon-1.

You may now use the usb port to transfer files!

USB has to be 2 gig or less.

My method:

conf t

config-reg 0x2002

wr mem

reload

Ctrl-C to rommon-1

copy the new version from 32GB jump drive to flash:

reboot

bundle install flash:bundle.file

Venkatv979
Level 1
Level 1

i have same problem 

can u please let me know the steps please

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card