cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS for 100mb circuit on 1000mb interface

Jeff Ferrell
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we recently turned up a 100mb circuit between sites, and it is leaving a 1gb interface.

WIth my current QoS setup, I have set the serial bandwith to ~45mb and set my policy map to total less than that. I have the max-reserved-bandwidth set to 90.

With my new interface, what is the easiest way to stop the router from sending 1gb of traffic? I know I can setup shaping and exceed action for each class, but could I just put max-reserved-bandwidth 10 to "shape" the entire interface down to 100mb then leave my class setup as it is? I'd rather see the drops tehn let the carrier do the dropping.

policy-map DR-WANEdge

class DR-Voice

set dscp ef

priority 6144

class DR-Signal

set dscp cs3

bandwidth 1600

random-detect

class Business_Data

set dscp af31

bandwidth 30720

random-detect dscp-based

class Network_Control

set dscp cs6

bandwidth 1536

random-detect

class DR-SAN

set dscp af11

bandwidth 15346

random-detect dscp-based

class DR-Cameras

set dscp cs4

bandwidth 8192

random-detect

class Scavenger

set dscp cs1

bandwidth 1024

class class-default

set dscp default

bandwidth 8192

random-detect

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

policy-map DR-WANEdge-100Mbps

class class-defautl

shape average 100000000

service-policy DR-WANEdge

Add above policy.  Use on egress interface (out).

View solution in original post

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

What I don't understand now is in the shape policy, everything is considered the "default class". Is that b/c we are simply trying to shape ALL traffic and make congestion at the 100mb mark?

Yes, correct.

Then when you call my actual queue and classification policy via the "service-policy DR-WANEdge" command, it then applies the real class maps and priorities?

Yes, it then is used to prioritize the 100 Mbps.

Basically, the parent shaper makes the gig interface act like a FE interface, which we then have a policy against.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

policy-map DR-WANEdge-100Mbps

class class-defautl

shape average 100000000

service-policy DR-WANEdge

Add above policy.  Use on egress interface (out).

Thanks. I already have the policy I posted (needing to tweak the bandwidth numbers still) on the egress interface out.

Should I take the shape average command and divide it up on each class map as well as leave the bandwidth?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Thanks. I already have the policy I posted (needing to tweak the bandwidth numbers still) on the egress interface out.

Yes, I understand.  That's why I wrote add the policy I provided.  It uses your existing policy to managed the shaped traffic.

Should I take the shape average command and divide it up on each class map as well as leave the bandwidth?

Normally, no.

Ah I see now JosephDoherty,

I didnt' quite understand it at first. What I don't understand now is in the shape policy, everything is considered the "default class". Is that b/c we are simply trying to shape ALL traffic and make congestion at the 100mb mark?

Then when you call my actual queue and classification policy via the "service-policy DR-WANEdge" command, it then applies the real class maps and priorities?

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

What I don't understand now is in the shape policy, everything is considered the "default class". Is that b/c we are simply trying to shape ALL traffic and make congestion at the 100mb mark?

Yes, correct.

Yes, it then is used to prioritize the 100 Mbps.

Basically, the parent shaper makes the gig interface act like a FE interface, which we then have a policy against.

Hello,

Do you know whats your peak traffic rate is at present?

Your new qos b/w allocation totaling 73mb , this is still under the default reserved 75% bw for the 100mb interface,

So even without speicifying the reserved-bandwidth to 90%, and this would leave 25mb for the class class default  to be shared between all other classes in proportion to their b/w  allocation numbers if it isn't being utilized.

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

pdriver,

Right now we max the 45mb often due to SAN and backup replication, not sure how high it will really go. I will leave much less (5mb maybe for the class default, as what I need to ensure gets through is in the business_data class, default I don't care much about.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card