cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS for VOIP on ATM (878)

johnelliot6
Level 2
Level 2

Will the following qos policy allow for full use of available bandwidth, if no congestion? (I dont believe it will?)

class-map match-any VOIP
match access-group name VOIP-IP
!
!
policy-map childpolicy
  class VOIP
  priority percent 40
  class class-default
  police rate 886000
  fair-queue

interface ATM0.1 point-to-point

pvc CA 10/50

ubr 1536

service-policy output childpolicy

As ATM does not support GTS( GTS : Not supported over ATM VCs) i.e. Cannot "shape" default traffic, is there any other way to allow default traffic to utilise all available bandwidth(Unless congestion of course) - In the above example, client has a 1.5Mb SHDSL service, and we want to give voip ip's 40% of the link if there is congestion(But allow default traffic to use the entire 1.5Mb if no voip traffic is present)

Also, Is it not best practise to apply qos policy to ingress traffic(As well as engress)

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

johnelliot6
Level 2
Level 2

To add to the above - would removing the police rate, provide the behaviour we are after?

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

"class class-default
  police rate 886000"

This will allow traffic up to 886000bits/s and drop excess traffic, even if there are no congestions.

If You remove the policing entry, the default-class can use all available bandwidth.

I'm not 100% shure, but I believe that if you configure an vbr instead of an ubr you will be allowed to configure shaping.

As a general rule

Ingress policy is best suited for marking and policing

Egress policy is best for shaping and queuing.

But it is not mandatory to it that way.

/Mikael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: