Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS Shaper and Fractional Circuits

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

On a fractional circuit…say 20 Mbps, connected via a gigabit interface it is understood that a shaper should shape the outbound policy-map to match.

What about a 100 Mbps circuit where the gigabit interface connecting to the provider has been configured for 100 full.

Should that be shaped to 100 Mbps as well? Or, by configuring the interface to 100 full are we changing the serialization of the link to behave like a 100 Mbps interface?

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Should that be shaped to 100 Mbps as well? Or, by configuring the interface to 100 full are we changing the serialization of the link to behave like a 100 Mbps interface?

Often yes, if you physically run at gig with a 100 Mbps CIR.

If your run the link physically at 100 Mbps it will behave exactly like a 100 Mbps interface because that's what you just configured it to be.  (BTW, shapers try to emulate a specific bandwidth, but they don't exactly mimic that bandwidth.)

Thanks for the reply Joseph

So it I understand correctly, and I realize we are usually bound to the speed a provider wants us to configure our connecting interfaces, but it would be better to set a gigabit interface to 100 Full than to leave the interface at 1 gig and shape to 100 Mbps?

Thank you

Personally, in a situation like this, I often chose to run the interface at 100 Mbps.  This because I often also configure QoS, and QoS often seems to work "better" when tied to a physical port bandwidth.

However, shapers do allow you to burst, and depending on how your service provider is enforcing the bandwidth, being able to briefly send/receive at gig might benefit some traffic.

In other words this is a "it depends" kind of answer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco