Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS :: Trffic shaping

paltel
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I want to apply Qos at our network, we have main router 3600 and the remote sites connected to this main router (1600 & 1700 series), these remote sites connected through F.R OR TDM.

i need to apply this Qos (traffic shaping) at the interfaces of the main router (3600), in other words i need to create class maps and policy maps at the main router and apply this policy to these interfaces, nothing to do at the remote sites router, right?

And, is it better to use average rate than peak rate, right? beacuse we don't want to excess CIR. but Our F.R cloud is not congested, but i read a document about this topic and it talked that it is recommended to use average rate.

we will apply this Qos for F.R sites not for TDM sites, right?

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

joyride_us
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, here is a humble contribution : implementing QoS can be anything between a mnute job and a 5 months job depending how advanced you want it.

But basically : no nothing on the remote site only on your 3600. Class map and policy map can be the solution for you dependng on how you choose the split the throughput (per flow ? per user? per type of traffic or just a equal share for each). If I were you, I would implement a simple queueing technic (CBWFQ as you mention or may be a Custom queueing will do) : but yet again : do you have real-time traffic like VoIP ? Are any user or applications, servers more important than others ? All those parameters are essential to choose the right queueing technology!

I would still put a peak rate for each class, if I were you, to avoid congestion on the CIR, especially if you have applications like FTP that eat all they can as bandwidth!

Good luck!

Hi, i have very important applications (Oracle), and in some sites they are critical servers, till now no real time traffic, maybe in the nearest future.

i want to create 3 classes.

- Very important applications

- Critical servers and E-mail access

- Best effort (rest of the traffic)

For the type of traffic shaping, it seems from you that you recommend to use peak rate, thats i understand from you. right? but peak rate excess the CIR which cause congestion.

what about TDM sites?

about the queuing technologyi think for mentioned traffic classes above to use CBWFQ.

Thanks ....

Hi,

We create class maps and assign these class maps to the desired policy map(traffic shaping (average rate) with CBWFQ) at the main router and all the remote sites are configured at this router (subinterfaces), but the problem is CBWFQ is not supported at the subinterfaces, only supported at the physical interfaces, so what to do???

Configure QoS at each remote site router, or what?

And it seems from the configuration for the average rate traffic shaping that all the parameters deals with CIR, but we did not assign CIR for these remote sites, and what about TDM sites???

Thanx in advance

plz. i need ur help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card