Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

question about a scenario i have

Hi All,

I have a scenario where i need a little help. it's like a Router on a stick config but with a firewall in the middle. I have a cisco switch, a sophos firewall and the rv340 router. i have setup 2 vlans on the switch and same vlans on the rv340 router. On the firewall however, i have configured it in the bridge mode (lan and wan ports are configured as bridge and they are bridged to passthrough the traffic) and the gateway for this bridge interface is the vlan1 subinterface on the router (192.168.0.1). If i ping vlan 1 interface from the switch (192.168.0.1), it is successful but when i ping the vlan 2 router interface (192.168.2.1) from the switch, it is not working. Because the firewall bridge interface has it's gateway set as 192.168.0.1 (vlan1), when i ping router vlan2 interface, will the router automatically push the traffic onto vlan 2 interface and let it reply the ping?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I got my answer. thanks. We didn't have to setup vlan on the firewall. we had to let the traffic passthrough and change the firewall to work as a layer 2 device.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello,

--> but when i ping the vlan 2 router interface (192.168.2.1) from the switch

Is the Vlan 2 interface a subinterface on the same interface as the Vlan 1 subinterface ?

i don't know how the small business router does this in the IOS? small business router rv340 does not allow console access. But from the router UI, i have 2 vlans defined. the default vlan 1 has ip 192.168.0.1 and vlan 2 (which i defined) has ip 192.168.2.1

Hello

Doesn't make sense at this time why you are bridging - it sounds like you have the switch between the rtr and fw is that correct?

Can you post the topology of this network please 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

firewall is in between switch and router. Let me work on the topology and i will post it later.

I got my answer. thanks. We didn't have to setup vlan on the firewall. we had to let the traffic passthrough and change the firewall to work as a layer 2 device.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card