Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about power down

wshngai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a RVS4000 and a WRT54GL router at home... I am planning to power down my home completely for several hours, my question is will I have to re-setup everything or will it retain the settings within the router? 

Thanks in advance for your response!!

-WN

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm no expert on these two models but did you save your configuration?

I did save the settings, but the problem is that I won't be at that location for the power down and I don't want to fly there just for that.  My parents will just be unplugging and plug it back in, they have no clue how to set it up.  So I am wondering how long can they have the routers unplugged without having to re-setup everything or reload the setting files.

Thanks!

-WN

hi,

i also have a WRT54G at home and have been using it for a couple of years now. you could simply just power it on again and would work just fine. you may wana do a backup its config just in case something might go wrong. just go to Administration > Config Management > Backup. i can't say much for RVS400 though.

Thank you for your reply!!  I have asked another person and he said the same thing.  Now I am wondering for the RVS4000.

Thanks!

-WN

Take a picture of the setup before the power down.

WN

I do not have experience with this specific equipment. But with ths type of router I would expect it to maintain its stored config for at least several months of power down. If your outage is going to be measured in hours I would not expect any problem. But as others have mentioned it would be helpful to make sure that you have a copy of the config or setup stored somewhere other than on the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card