Views
Helpful
Replies

question about VRRP/HSRP

blackmetal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

in Mikrotik when we setup want to setup VRRP i have create a vrrp interface assign a /29 on that interface and assing one of them on one mikrotik and another on second mikrotik and set third ip on both mikrotik then create VLANs under this VRRP interface and VRRP slave ip routes was always disabled and when slave convert to master then routes enabled, 

now i have 2x 3064pq 10gx , so i want to know how can i connect them together and run hsrp and work such as mikrotik, my mean is second nexus be in standby mode but it has all vlans and when second switch convert to master then take the traffic,

THank you.

4 Replies 4

Leonid Voronkin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The principle is the same

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus3000/sw/unicast/7x/b_Cisco_Nexus_3000_Series_NX-OS_Unicast_Routing_Configuration_Guide_Release_7_x/b_Cisco_Nexus_3000_Series_NX-OS_Unicast_Routing_Configuration_Guide_Release_7_x_chapter_...

You can also configure VRRP

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus3000/sw/unicast/7x/b_Cisco_Nexus_3000_Series_NX-OS_Unicast_Routing_Configuration_Guide_Release_7_x/b_Cisco_Nexus_3000_Series_NX-OS_Unicast_Routing_Configuration_Guide_Release_7_x_chapter_...

if i follow them and use for example port ethernet40 in my nexus for vrrp only to send/receive hello messages, can i add interface vlan with no additional vrrp config ? my mean is when i add simple interface vlan in slave router it will act as backup and slave router when take the master position activate the route/

Hello @blackmetal ,

>> can i add interface vlan with no additional vrrp config ?

on standby device you need to configure the SVI with the VRRP configuration , wiithout it the device would not listen to VRRP hello messages and would not be able to take over if the primary fails or its priority is lowered by the failure of the uplink of primary node ( to be tracked on VRRP config of primary node).

VRRP just provides a VIP for end users so I don't understand your note:

>> slave router it will act as backup and slave router when take the master position activate the route/

Each device needs its own set of routes either static or dynamic when VRRP failover happens the secondary device becomes active and uses the VRRP VIP address and associated MAC address it will send out a gratuoitus ARP to update the L2 LAN switches.

VRRP is not a routing protocol

Hope to help

Giuseppe

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

High level with out VRRP/ HSRP config on the interface, the interface not participate in redundent, - please post the example config you thinking so we can  understand

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card