Views
Helpful
Replies

Question Regarding Object Tracking Statement "not"

dperezoquendo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I see the following configured in a device and I was wondering if I could get some insight on what exactly the following means (this is the full configuration of the track list):

track 2 list boolean or

object 1 not

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x track 2

The description on Cisco documentation, https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12-2_50_se/configuration/guide/scg/sweot.pdf, doesn't make any sense to me. What is the purpose of this and what does it really do?

My understanding of what I read would mean that this default route will always be tracked down? If so, then whats the point of having it in the configuration if it will never go up?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello dperezoquendo,

what is the object 1? what it is monitoring?

the track 2 will be TRUE / UP if the object 1 state is FALSE/down.

So a possible interpretation of the configuration is the following:

this default static route should be used only when object 1 is down, so it is actually a backup default route and not the primary route.

Be noted that object 1 must be defined in configuration or the track configuration would not be accepted.

So you should look at what object 1 is and what is its state.

The usual configuration would track the primary route and would use a floating static route as backup using a positive logic (not using not operator in boolean expression).

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello dperezoquendo,

what is the object 1? what it is monitoring?

the track 2 will be TRUE / UP if the object 1 state is FALSE/down.

So a possible interpretation of the configuration is the following:

this default static route should be used only when object 1 is down, so it is actually a backup default route and not the primary route.

Be noted that object 1 must be defined in configuration or the track configuration would not be accepted.

So you should look at what object 1 is and what is its state.

The usual configuration would track the primary route and would use a floating static route as backup using a positive logic (not using not operator in boolean expression).

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for bringing that up, that was actually another question I had that I forgot to ask. What is "object #" suppose to be? I don't see anything in the configuration outlined as "object 1". Is it suppose to be track 1? If it is, then track 1 appears to be an IP SLA that will ping 8.8.4.4 every 5 seconds.

So in summary:

The default route will be utilized if track 1 fails. 

I am also more akin to seeing the usual configuration as you mentioned. I found the NOT statement and the Cisco explanation confusing so I needed that clarity. Thanks for the help. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card