cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"domain" vs. "ip domain-name" global configuration commands

coolbreeze
Level 1
Level 1

Might someone be able to help explain the difference between the following global configuration mode "domain" commands their effects:  domain [domain name]  vs.  ip domain name [domain name]

Below is some example output of what I am seeing on two different Cisco ASR 1006X WAN aggregation hub routers, running same firmware version.

$$$$$$$$$$$ BEGIN ROUTER 1 SAMPLE OUTPUT $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Router1#show version

Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.09.02
Cisco IOS Software [Fuji], ASR1000 Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 16.9.2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

!

!

Router1#

Router1#sh run | inc domain

no ip domain lookup
ip domain name example.com
domain example.com

Router1#show domain all

*** DOMAIN NAME:   example.com ***

Router1#

$$$$$$$$$$$$ END ROUTER 1 SAMPLE OUTPUT  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$ BEGIN ROUTER 2 SAMPLE OUTPUT  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Router2#show version

Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.09.02
Cisco IOS Software [Fuji], ASR1000 Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 16.9.2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

!

!

Router2#

Router2#sh run | inc domain

ip domain name example.com

Router2#show domain all

Router2#

$$$$$$$$$$$$ END ROUTER 2 SAMPLE OUTPUT  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per your show output show that you using IOS XE Code.

based on that my comments :

domain

Configures the fabric domain and enters fabric-auto-domain configuration mode. The no version of this command deletes the fabric domain.

domain { default| name name }

no domain

Syntax Description

Configures the default fabric domain and enters fabric-auto domain configuration mode.

name name

Configures a new fabric domain and enters fabric-auto domain configuration mode.

Ip  Domain Name :   ( traditional domain config)

Defines a default domain name that the Cisco IOS software uses to complete unqualified host names (names without a dotted-decimal domain name).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per your show output show that you using IOS XE Code.

based on that my comments :

domain

Configures the fabric domain and enters fabric-auto-domain configuration mode. The no version of this command deletes the fabric domain.

domain { default| name name }

no domain

Syntax Description

Configures the default fabric domain and enters fabric-auto domain configuration mode.

name name

Configures a new fabric domain and enters fabric-auto domain configuration mode.

Ip  Domain Name :   ( traditional domain config)

Defines a default domain name that the Cisco IOS software uses to complete unqualified host names (names without a dotted-decimal domain name).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you, for whatever reason I was having difficulty finding the right command reference for those for the version that included the "domain" command referring to the fabric domain.  Now I'm just doing a facepalm, but you answered my question, thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco