cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RADIUS Server

corey.mckinney
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to have a Cisco Router talk to a RADIUS server for ppp authentication?

2 Replies 2

amon.hogue
Level 1
Level 1

I am not an expert at this but I found an interesting cisco document on Radius that I believe answers your question with a yes. Here is the cisco document link:http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/secur_c/scprt2/scrad.htm#xtocid182641

Below is an excerpt from the doc

Networks in which a user must only access a single service. Using RADIUS, you can control user access to a single host, to a single utility such as Telnet, or to a single protocol such as Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP). For example, when a user logs in, RADIUS identifies this user as having authorization to run PPP using IP address 10.2.3.4 and the defined access list is started.

Corey

The link that Amon posted is an interesting one. He is correct in believing that it leads to an answer of yes. I can affirm that from direct experience. I have several routers supporting users with ppp sessions which are authenticated to a radius server. It works quite well for us.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card