Views
Helpful
Replies

RAM usage on a Cisco 1811

d-rocknurt
Level 1
Level 1

Hey there!

I've inherited an older network at a new job I just started at and am wanting to get some insight into some router performance issues we're currently experiencing.

In general, websites are taking longer than they should to load. Anything from Facebook to blog sites are taking 20+ seconds to load. Curiously though, file transfers are going OK once they get going. We also have quite a few software VPNs going and those seem to be unaffected for the most part.

More specifically though, I've narrowed down the issue to RAM usage on the router but wanted to get some insight into whether this is actually an issue or not.

Attached is a graph from SolarWinds network monitoring outlining RAM usage. (yes, I know, I know, it's not IOS but it's the easiest way to present this info to the higher-ups) It's using SNMP monitoring on the router to generate this graph.

As you can see, the RAM on our router is pretty much maxed out 100% of the time.

I am almost certain this is a problem but wanted to get some insight from others into how much of a problem this actually is. While the RAM is being heavily used, the CPU is nowhere near 100%

As far as what I know, the RAM usage is dependent on how many connections are being used or "held" by clients connecting through the router. If this is true, this would explain why VPN connections are having less problems as they're considered 1 connection by the router. New websites or connections would need to wait for the router to have capacity before being allowed through.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think it is unlikely to be RAM usage.  But try rebooting the router.  Does the issue go away for a while?  If not, it wont be RAM usage.

However this is far more likely to be an MTU squeeze.  To test this add this command to the interface on the LAN side.

ip tcp adjust-mss 1400
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card